- Kano government has announced the extension of the lockdown imposed on the state by one week
- According to the state government, the lockdown extension is to help curb the spread of COVID-19 further
- This was disclosed in a statement by the state commissioner for information, Muhammad Garba
In a bid to further combat the spread of the coronavirus pandemic, the Kano state government has announced a one-week extension of the lockdown imposed.
Channels TV reports that Malam Muhammad Garba, the state commissioner for information, made the announcement in a statement.
Garba said the decision to extend the lockdown in the state was reached after due consultations with the federal government and key stakeholders in the health sector.
The commissioner went on to note that the preventive measure is aimed at further reducing the person to person contact which is believed to be one of the major ways COVID-19 is being spread.
While acknowledging the consequences of the extension of the lockdown on the public, Garba called for the people to be patient as the battle against COVID-19 continues.
Kano state residents were urged to continue observing personal hygiene including use of face masks, social distancing, and regular hand washing.
The Kano state governor announced a 12- hour free period per week during the lockdown which was imposed to contain the spread of the coronavirus pandemic.
Governor Ganduje said all the major markets will remain closed except some selected supermarkets.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that two Imams in Kano have incurred the wrath of the law against religious gathering imposed by Governor Ganduje as well as the presidency.
The clerics, whose identities were not disclosed, conducted public prayers for some Muslim faithful in the Minjibir local government area of the state. In a ruling made known by Baba Jibo-Ibrahim, the spokesperson of the Kano state ministry of justice, the court fined the religious head a sum of N10,000 each.
Added to this, both Imams are to sweep the residence of the district head of the area for one whole week.
In a related development, Plateau governor, Simon Lalong, has banned all movements within the north-central state in the bid to curb the spread of coronavirus. Lalong announced the new measure in his address on Thursday, April 30.
In his address, the governor said he had placed a ban on movement from local government to local government within the state and also on all entry and exit points to the state.
He said: “In addition to the total lockdown which closed movement in and out of the state, and in order to curb community spread of COVID-19, the government has decided to close all intra-state borders with effect from 4th May 2020."
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng: Same great journalism, upgraded for better service!
Coronavirus: Ease of lockdown is best for us - Nigerians | Legit TV