- A gravedigger in Kano, Musa Abubakar, has cried out over the continuous mass deaths being recorded in the state
- Abubakar said he and his colleagues now dig up to 40 graves per day as against about 4 they usually dug before
- The gravedigger said about 300 people have been buried in Kofar Mazugal Cemetery since the beginning of Ramadan, adding that five of his colleagues have also died
PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed!
The mass deaths in Kano appear to continue unabated as gravediggers in the state have cried out over unusual mass deaths being recorded in recent times.
Daily Nigerian reports that one of the gravediggers at the Kofar Mazugal Cemetery, Musa Abubakar, told newsmen on Sunday, May 10, within two weeks, five of his co-workers had died of unknown ailments.
“Let me tell you that these mass deaths had claimed five of our colleagues. They all died after a brief illness. The situation is terrible and needs God’s intervention,” Abubakar was quoted to have said.
The 75-year-old gravedigger who said he has been doing the job for 60 years expressed shock over the number of dead bodies being brought to the cemetery for burial in the past few days.
Abubakar said there was a time they dug 40, 35 and 30 graves for three consecutive days. He added that from the beginning of the month of Ramadan to date (about two weeks), over 300 people had been buried at the graveyard.
He noted that before the COVID-19 pandemic in the state, gravediggers in the cemetery had never dug more than 5 graves in a day.
“I swear to God, just from the first Ramadan to date, over 300 people have been buried in this cemetery. This is a terrible situation. My colleagues also are all in panic,” he admitted.
Earlier, Legit.ng reported that a presidential technical team deployed to Kano to ascertain the cause of recent mass deaths recorded in the state said coronavirus is responsible for the deaths.
The leader of the team, Dr Nasiru Sani Gwarzo, disclosed in an interview with journalists in Kano on Sunday, May 3, that the preliminary reports and tests carried out indicated that most of the deaths in Kano were caused by COVID-19.
“With the preliminary report, most of the deaths recorded of recent and test carried out indicated that coronavirus is the cause,” Gwarzo explained.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We have upgraded to serve you better
COVID-19 Update: Nigerian states without coronavirus as country hits over 1k cases | Legit TV