COVID-19: INEC bars pregnant staff, workers above 58 years from resuming

COVID-19: INEC bars pregnant staff, workers above 58 years from resuming

- The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has revealed protocols for the resumption of operations amid the easing of lockdown

- The commission has barred staff who are pregnant, nursing mothers and those above the age of 58 years from resuming at the office

- INEC also told its workers who have underlying health conditions to remain at home for the time being

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed

A report by ThisDay indicates that the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has barred staff above the age of 58 and those with serious underlying illness from resuming work.

This was disclosed in a statement by Festus Okoye, the national commissioner in charge of voter education and public information.

Legit.ng gathered that this is coming after the commission met Thursday, May 7, to deliberate on protocols for the resumption of activities and operations.

COVID-19: Report any Nigerian returnee who refuses to self-Isolate - Abike Dabiri

INEC while noting that only staff above the age of 58 will resume work as operations begin on Monday, May 11, also barred pregnant women, nursing mothers.

COVID-19: INEC bars pregnant staff, workers above 58 years from resuming

INEC bars pregnant staff, workers above 58 years from resuming at the office.
Source: UGC

The commission said: “Only the staff below 58 years of age with no serious underlying health issues will resume, while pregnant women, nursing mothers and all other staff with underlying health conditions should remain at home for the time being.”

INEC went on to note that it had discussed preparations for the conduct of the governorship elections in Edo and Ondo states and other pending bye-elections.

According to the national commissioner, INEC will also resume engagement with political parties and other stakeholders in relation to the Edo and Ondo state governorship elections.

Okoye said that the commission will work out modalities for the activities in states where governorship elections are scheduled to hold and liaise with security agencies and health authorities on the resumption of work in those states.

COVID-19: FG tells employers to obtain clearance before sacking workers

The commission also said after the decontamination of the premises, directors, national commissioners, and other departmental staff will resume on Wednesday, May 13, at the national headquarters.

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read the best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

Legit.ng previously reported that the director-general of the World Health Organization (WHO) Tedros Adhanom, shared four guidelines that could help countries manage the COVID-19 pandemic as their societies resume work.

The WHO director-general shared the safety tips at a conference on back-to-work policies. Adhanom said the return to work should be done in a phased, controlled and cautious manner to avoid putting lives at risk.

In the first guideline, Adhanom advised employers and managers to carry out regular updates on their risk assessment for work-related exposure to the virus.

In a related development, the federal government on Thursday, May 7, again warned of a possible fresh lockdown of the country over the violation of the guidelines on the eased lockdown.

Coronavirus: Umahi directs civil servants to resume duties in Ebonyi

National coordinator, Presidential Task Force on COVID-19, Dr. Sani Aliyu, gave the warning in Abuja during the daily briefing of the PTF.

He said if Nigerians continue to fail to respect and follow all the guidelines, the PTF might review and possibly change them.

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We have upgraded to serve you better.

The Nigerian government cannot handle this pandemic - Woman | Legit TV

Source: Legit.ng

Online view pixel