COVID-19: Nigerians yet to come to terms with deadly nature of virus - FG laments

COVID-19: Nigerians yet to come to terms with deadly nature of virus - FG laments

- The Nigerian government has expressed worry that Nigerians haven't come to terms with the deadly nature of COVID-19

- Since the easing of the lockdown, the federal government has lamented for the second time over the refusal of Nigerians to comply with safety rules

- The chairman of the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19, Boss Mustapha, disclosed this at the daily briefing on Wednesday, May 6

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed!

The federal government on Wednesday, May 6, expressed worry that Nigerians are yet to come to terms with the deadly nature of the global pandemic called coronavirus.

According to ThisDay, this would be the second time the Nigerian government is lamenting over the refusal of people complying with safety guidelines since the easing of the lockdown in the FCT, Ogun and Lagos states.

Coronavirus: Lockdown Nigeria for two months - Sagay tells Buhari

Boss Mustapha, the chairman of the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19 speaking at the daily briefing in Abuja, expressed the government’s dissatisfaction with peoples' misconduct across the nation.

The SGF pointed out that the basic safety rules such as mask-wearing, physical distancing, and ban on interstate travel had been disobeyed particularly in the epicentres.

COVID-19: Nigerians yet to come to terms with deadly nature of virus - FG laments

Federal government laments, says Nigerians yet to come to terms with deadly nature of COVID-19.
Source: Twitter

The Nigerian government warned that there were great dangers ahead as coronavirus may spread exponentially with the potential to overwhelm the public health system.

Mustapha went on to note that President Muhammadu Buhari had become worried by the increasing spread among health and ordered state governments to increase the number of isolation centres.

He added that the early assessment of the easing of the lockdown phase revealed a lack of compliance with social and physical distancing guidelines.

He cited the high number of people in banks, traffic gridlocks, particularly at entry points to metropolitan areas and disregard of guidelines on carrying capacity of vehicles, as evidence of the violation of COVID-19 protocol.

COVID-19: Traders, beggars, others violate social distancing as activities resume in Lagos

He said: “I am a bit sobered by the dangers I see ahead. The overall direction of the modelling we have developed points in the direction of danger ahead. I want to emphasis that so that we know that what we are playing with is very serious and it is a very sober thing to reflect upon. It points in the direction of danger. We need personal discipline and awareness to avert this.

“It is obvious we need to do much more because we have the collective responsibility to own this fight. It is not the federal government’s fight; not the state governors’ fight; it is your fight for your life. When we say stay at home, observe social distancing, put on a mask, it is not to protect any of us. It is to protect you and your loved ones. We can’t go on like this and expect a different result.

NLC issues warning against lockdown extension, reveals what would likely happen

“I want to reiterate the fact that our individual and collective safety is in our hands and I re-echo my call and appeal to Nigerians to demonstrate our duty to ourselves and loved ones by minimising the risk of getting infected by the virus.”

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that the federal government has vowed to lock down parts of the country again should there be a spike in coronavirus cases.

This was revealed during the daily briefing of the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19 on Monday, May 4.

Speaking at the briefing, the director-general of the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), Dr Chikwe Ihekweazu, lamented that many banks flouted the NCDC’s guideline for social distancing, infection prevention and control.

In other news, the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) has confirmed 195 new cases of COVID-19, bringing the total number of confirmed cases to 3,145. The federal health agency made the announcement via its Twitter handle at 12.01 am on Thursday, May 7.

Life won’t return to normal after COVID-19 - NCDC boss tells Nigerians

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng: Same great journalism, upgraded for better service!

Coronavirus: Ease of lockdown is best for us - Nigerians | Legit TV

Source: Legit

Online view pixel