- The Plateau government has evacuated 709 almajiris from the state
- The Plateau government also received 145 almajiris originally from the state
- The decision followed the directive of northern governors on the evacuation of almajiris to their respective states of origin
PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed!
The Plateau government has announced that it has evacuated 709 almajiris and received 145 into the state.
This was disclosed by the secretary to the government of Plateau state, Professor Danladi Atu who briefed journalists on Wednesday, May 6 in Jos.
The decision followed the directive of Northern Governors Forum on the evacuation of almajiris to their respective states of origin.
PAY ATTENTION: Download our mobile app to enjoy the latest news update
His words: “We have received 99 almajiris from Nasarawa state, 46 from Kaduna and Gombe states. We have also profiled and evacuated 700 almajiris to their states of origin.”
He said the Almajiris received are currently under quarantine for 14 days and their sample would be taken and tested to ensure that they are medically fit before uniting them with their families.
On his part, the commissioner for health, Dr Ndam Lar said Plateau has so far tested 650 persons and four cases have been confirmed.
Dr Lar said the index case was from Jos North, two cases were confirmed in Mangu and a 45-year-old man from Jos North local government area was also confirmed positive on Tuesday, May 5.
He said contact tracing of all the cases has been in progress especially that of a 45-year-old man who is a businessman that was said to have mingled with some people in his community.
Dr Lar noted that 357 persons are currently on Isolation at the Mangu Isolation Centre and 30 are at the Heipang centre which pegs the figure to 387.
“Government is doing everything possible to protect Plateau citizens from the current pandemic; we advise people to adhere to the restrictive measures put in place by the government,” he said.
Similarly, over 100 almajiris intercepted by officials of the Abia state homeland security on Tuesday, May 5 on the Abia-Enugu border, have been sent back to their respective states.
Abia state commissioner for information, Chief John Okiyi-Kalu, disclosed this during a recent interview.
According to him, the almajiris were turned back as a result of the border closure in the state.
Meanwhile, UNICEF on Tuesday, May 5 warned that internally displaced children – including in Nigeria - are among the world’s most vulnerable to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The warning came as the organization released a report looking at the risks and challenges facing internally displaced children, and the urgent actions needed to protect them.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) - Legit.ng. We have upgraded to serve you better
Massive crowd at banks, bus stops as Lagosians resume after lockdown | Legit TV