COVID-19: Nigerians want Buhari to impose another lockdown - Poll

COVID-19: Nigerians want Buhari to impose another lockdown - Poll

- The preventive measures put in place by the FG after easing the lockdown in Lagos, Ogun, and Abuja are being disobeyed by some Nigerians

- Legit.ng asked in an online poll what Nigerians want the FG to do following the violation of the directives

- The poll shows that the majority of Nigerians want the government to impose another lockdown to contain the spread of COVID-19

- PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed

On Monday, May 4, President Muhammadu Buhari's directive on easing the lockdown in Lagos, Ogun and Abuja became effective.

The two states and the FCT had been under lockdown for about five weeks in a bid to contain the spread of COVID-19.

In place of the lockdown, President Buhari announced new relaxed measures to ensure the virus does not spread further.

Ogun governor extends lockdown by 1 week, blames residents
COVID-19: Nigerians want Buhari to impose another lockdown - Poll

COVID-19: Poll shows Nigerians want Buhari to impose another lockdown after violation of new preventive measures. Photo credit: Femi Adesina
Source: Facebook

The measures include 8pm to 6am curfew, social distancing, compulsory use of face masks, regular handwashing, and so on.

Sadly, from Lagos through Ogun to Abuja, the new measures, especially social distancing, are being violated every day: people are seen in crowds in clear disregard to the social distancing directives.

After the widespread violation of these directives, what should the federal government do next? Legit.ng asks Nigerians this question in an online poll conducted on Facebook and Twitter.

Over 2,500 Nigerians participated in the poll on Facebook. The majority of them, 61%, want the Nigerian government impose another lockdown while the remaining 39% want the lockdown lifted.

On Twitter, 52% of the respondents want another lockdown imposed while 23% want the lockdown lifted. Also, 19% of the respondents are indifferent.

The comments that accompanied the poll give some insights into why the majority want the lockdown imposed again and while others want it lifted.

Why close churches and open markets? I smell a rat - Bishop Oyedepo says, Nigerians react

Sunday Kene said: "The government should use about one week to robustly educate and warn citizens on the danger of not adhering to the precautionary rules and regulations

"If after that people continue in their lawless ways the government should bring back the lockdown."

Nzemeke Bridget Esuakpor said: "Impose another lockdown since d people have refused to have sense."

"Government cannot afford another lockdown, they should just figured out the best way to enforce the lockdown," Onigbogi Abdulsamiu Ayoola said.

Felicia Effiong said: "Govt should lift the lockdown, is making me go insane, everyone is annoying me in the house, I need to go to my village, I need fresh food to recover from this lockdown sickness."

Ogochukwu Obiajuru said: "Lift the lock down let everything be normal. The rush rush and panicking will reduce. People rush to bank, people rush to market, people rush to do everything because they are not sure of the next minute."

COVID-19: Traders, beggars, others violate social distancing as activities resume in Lagos

PAY ATTENTION: Get the Latest Nigerian News Anywhere 24/7. Spend less on the Internet!

Meanwhile, the federal government said it will ask the security operatives to ensure total compliance with the guidelines on the ease of lockdown in some parts of the country as business activities partially become active.

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We have upgraded to serve you better.

The Nigerian government cannot handle this pandemic - Woman | Legit TV

Source: Legit

Mailfire view pixel