- More than 100 youths who defied the stay at home order in Niger state took to the streets to protest the killing of their people
- The youths expressed concern over the killing of 15 people by armed bandits including seven local vigilantes and their commander within a week
- Under the aegis Amalgamation of Youths Development Association, the youths were from 14 communities in Rafi LGA of the state
Youths under the auspices of Amalgamation of Youths Development Association on Tuesday, May 5, took to the streets to protest what they described as “government inaction and insensitivity” following the killing of people by armed bandits.
According to The Sun, youths in their hundreds drawn from 14 communities in Rafi local government area of Niger state defied the state’s stay-at-home order and marched through Kagara highway.
Chanting ‘Enough Is Enough', the youths were aggrieved that the government has paid little attention to control the situation following the relentless massacre by bandits.
Particularly angered over the removal of a mobile police base from Uregi community, the young people described the action as “a complete betrayal of the people by the government.”
According to the protesters, the removal of the police mobile base has further worsened an already deteriorating security situation in the communities.
The protest coming almost a week after 15 people were killed, including seven local vigilantes and their commander, ambushed and slaughtered by bandits.
They claimed those vigilantes have been the only active security presence in the affected areas.
Mallam Akayago Adams Mohammed, the national president of the Kamuku Progressive Union, speaking to reporters shortly after the protest march said: “The youths were compelled to stage the protest to let the world and the government know about the happenings in communities in Rafi local government with a view to putting a stop to the killings and cattle rustling.”
The youths who staged the demonstration expressed dismay over the killing of 15 people within a week, including seven local vigilantes and their commander whom they claimed have been the only active security presence in the affected areas.
The youths issuing a warning said: "If no action is taken to stop the bandit attacks, then there will be no farming in entire communities in Rafi local government this farming season. Over 60 percent of our towns and villages have become ghost homes.”
Earlier, Legit.ng previously reported that three people were killed while many others sustained injuries after bandits attacked two communities in Kankara local government area of Katsina state on Friday, May 1.
Local residents speaking to an online news publication added that the bandits carted away with a large number of their animals and foodstuff after they invaded Madobai and Dannakwabo villages past midnight.
A source said: “We buried the corpses this morning after funeral prayers. This attack is one too many in our area.” This renewed attack by the gunmen is coming a day after Mabai village which is in the same council was attacked.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng: Same great journalism, upgraded for better service!
Nigerian Air Force Operations Against Boko Haram | Legit TV