- Olabode Folorunso, the Ekiti state commissioner for agriculture, has been freed by his kidnappers
- Folorunso was kidnapped along with two other on Sunday, April 26
- Muyiwa Olumilua, the state commissioner for information and values orientation, announced Folorunso, on Monday, May 5
Ekiti state commissioner for agriculture, Olabode Folorunso, has regained his freedom from his abductors.
Legit.ng gathered that Olabode and two others were kidnapped by gunmen on Sunday, April 26, at about 7:30 pm along Iludun-Isan-Ekiti road.
It was reported that a councilor of Ilejemeje local government area of the state who was with him was shot dead on the spot.
The state commissioner for information and values orientation, Aare Muyiwa Olumilua, in a statement issued on the evening of Monday, May 4, said Folorunso was released “a few hours ago unhurt and has since rejoined his family.”
He, however, did not disclose whether the government paid the N15 million demanded by Olumilua’s abductors.
“Government is grateful for the concern shown by members of the public during his period of incarceration. Similarly, the government appreciates the effort of the security agencies in securing his release as well as ensuring the security of lives and properties on our roads.
“Government also expresses sympathy to the family of the late Councillor, Mr Olatunji Omotosho, who was killed by the gunmen during the abduction on April 26, 2020," Olumilua said.
Olumilua said the state governor Kayode Fayemi who is billed to receive Chief Olabode later today, said the state government is doing everything possible to rid the state of criminal elements.
“Governor Fayemi urges the people of the state to remain vigilant and report any suspicious movement/activities to the law enforcement agencies or call the state emergency lines,” Olumilua said.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that many families were thrown into sadness as three 400 level students of the University of Port Harcourt who were kidnapped on April 7 were found dead in Eleme area of the state.
It was reported that the victims were identified as Joy Adoki Nelson Nwafor and Fortune Obemba. They were declared missing by the police on April 19 after Adoki’s brother, Umor, filed a compliant at Eleme Police Division.
According to reports, days after they disappeared, their kidnappers contacted their families and demanded ransom which the families paid.
However, despite the payment, the kidnappers failed to release the students as promised. This lead detectives to arrest one Bright alias Nelly, who also led investigators to Friday Akpan and Emmanuel both residents in Eteo, Eleme.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We keep evolving to serve our readers better.
We can't travel to the north because of kidnappers - Northern onion seller | - on Legit TV