- Bayelsa state government has extended lockdown in the state by another one week
- This was meant to contain the spread of the disease in the state
- Daniel Alabrah, the acting chief press secretary to the state governor, made this known on Monday, May 4
PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed!
Governor Douye Diri of Bayelsa state has extended the stay-at-home order for another one week as a measure to contain the spread of coronavirus pandemic in the state.
Daily Trust reports that the state government had one week ago imposed a total lockdown in the state due to the confirmation of the index case of coronavirus.
Legit.ng gathered that the acting chief press secretary to the state governor, Daniel Alabrah, in a statement issued on Monday, May 4, also confirmed that the state government adopted the presidential curfew directive between 8 pm and 6 am for two weeks commencing from May 4, 2020.
He said that wearing face masks in public is now compulsory, while violators risk prosecution, noting that all markets would remain open but traders and buyers must maintain social distancing.
The government also permitted Churches and other worship centres to hold services, with big congregations to maintain a maximum of 50 persons while small ones are not to have more than 20 persons in attendance.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that a presidential technical team deployed to Kano to ascertain the cause of recent mass deaths recorded in the state disclosed that coronavirus was responsible for the deaths.
It was reported that the leader of the team, Nasiru Sani Gwarzo, disclosed in an interview with journalists in Kano on Sunday, May 3, that the preliminary reports and tests carried out indicated that most of the deaths in Kano were caused by COVID-19.
He made the disclosure during the official presentation and handing over of the mobile testing laboratory donated by Aliko Dangote Foundation to the state government.
Gwarzo noted that after the verbal autopsy and test carried out, it had been established that COVID-19 is the cause of most of the deaths.
He said the final report would be ready in the next one week or few days. Gwarzo described the findings as a serious issue and urged the people in the state to wake up from their slumber.
In another report, a seasoned journalist in Sokoto state and Editor of Newsdiaryonline, Abdallah El-Kurebe, tested positive for coronavirus.
The editor contracted the deadly virus from a fellow journalist who had tested positive for COVID-19. El-Kurebe who is presently at the State COVID-19 Isolation Centre receiving treatment was confirmed to have tested positive on Sunday, May 4.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We have upgraded to serve you better
Coronavirus: Ease of lockdown is best for us - Nigerians | - on Legit TV