RevolutionNow protest: Court awards N1 million against FG, condemns police disruption

RevolutionNow protest: Court awards N1 million against FG, condemns police disruption

- The Federal High Court in Lagos has ordered the federal government to pay the sum of N1 million as damages

- The fine is payment for the Nigerian government disrupting the #RevolutionNow protest back in August 2019

- The judge condemned the disruption of the peaceful protest describing it as illegal, oppressive, and undemocratic

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed!

The Nigerian federal government has been awarded N1 million for damages by the Federal High Court in Lagos over the police disruption of the #RevolutionNow protest convened by rights activist, Omoyele Sowore, on August 5, 2019.

According to PR Nigeria, the court in a judgment by Maureen Onyetenu awarded the fine in favour of Olukoya Ogungbeje, a Lagos-based lawyer.

Ogungbeje said he participated in the protest last year and was among those tear-gassed by security agents.

Just in: Lagos judiciary holds first ever virtual court sitting

The judge described that the peaceful protest which was disrupted by the federal government through the police, as “illegal, oppressive, undemocratic and unconstitutional”.

RevolutionNow protest: Court condemns police disruption, awards N1 million against FG

Court condemns police disruption of RevolutionNow protest, awards N1 million against FG
Source: UGC

The judge also condemned “the mass arrest, harassment, tear-gassing, and clamping into detention” of the protesters.

Onyetenu agreed with the applicant in the suit that the Nigerian government deprived them of their right to peaceful assembly and association in violation of sections 38, 39 and 40 of the 1999 constitution.

Ogungbeje had urged the Lagos court to award N500 million as damages against the federal government, SSS and the Attorney-General of the Federation, but was granted N1 million.

The court also ordered the Nigerian government to tender a public apology to the applicant in three national daily newspapers.

The Lagos based lawyer said: “I met agents and operatives of the respondents who had barricaded the venue of the peaceful protest for good governance in Nigeria.

“I was tear-gassed by agents of the respondents and the peaceful protest was forcefully disrupted by the respondents.

May Day: Oshiomhole begs employers not to sack workers or cut salaries

“I have been denied my fundamental constitutional rights of peaceful assembly and association by the respondents without cause.”

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

Earlier, Legit.ng reported that the Department of State Service (DSS) was ordered by the Federal High Court in Abuja to pay the sum of N200,000 as damages to Omoyele Sowore.

The damages, according to the court, came as a result of unwarranted adjournments.

Recall that Legit.ng reported that Nobel laureate Wole Soyinka and former Senator Shehu Sani on Wednesday, February 12, arrived at the court in Abuja to witness Sowore's trial. Soyinka arrived at the courtroom around 8:50 am, five minutes before the convener of RevolutionNow Movement made his way in.

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng. We have upgraded to serve you better.

#RevolutionNow: Police beat journalist, others in Lagos | Legit TV

African Development Bank suspends Nigerian company for fraud

Source: Legit.ng

Online view pixel