Coronavirus: Despite easing lockdown, poll shows many Lagosians, others stay at home

Coronavirus: Despite easing lockdown, poll shows many Lagosians, others stay at home

Starting from today, Monday, May 4, the lockdown in Lagos, Ogun and Abuja has been partially lifted.

President Muhammadu Buhari had earlier imposed lockdown in the two states and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) in a bid to contain the spread of the coronavirus pandemic.

The president, however, decided to ease the lockdown after about five weeks and imposed curfew instead.

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed

Citizens going out were also instructed to wear face masks maintain social, among other guidelines released by individual state governors.

With the lockdown lifted, Legit.ng asks residents of the affected states, Lagos, Ogun and Abuja, in an online poll if they are going to work or staying at home.

On Facebook, over 1,700 Nigerians have participated in the poll which is still ongoing. At the time of filing this piece, 67% of the respondents said they are staying at home while the remaining 33% said they are going to work.

Prominent northern leader Sheikh Gumi advises Buhari over easing of COVID-19 lockdown

On Twitter, 54% of the respondents said they are staying at home while 28% said they are going to work. The remaining percentage of the respondents shows indifference.

The Twitter poll is also ongoing.

Read below some of the comments that accompanied the poll to understand why many decided to stay at home after the lockdown has been partially lifted.

PAY ATTENTION: Get the Latest Nigerian News Anywhere 24/7. Spend less on the Internet!

Meanwhile, after much consideration in the interest of civil servants in Lagos, Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu made a timely decision concerning the easing of the lockdown.

Sanwo-Olu on Friday, May 1, had informed government workers in the state at level 14 and above to return to their offices on Monday, May 4, through the head of service in Lagos, Hakeem Muri-Okunola.

Yoruba forum reveals why President Buhari's ease of lockdown directive could fail

But on Sunday, May 3, the governor instructed all civil servants, irrespective of level, to remain and work from home.

He noted that this decision is to avoid overcrowding in the state which could lead to a hike in the number of locally transmitted coronavirus cases.

The governor added that only emergency workers and government operatives on special duties are allowed to be at work on Monday.

“In amending the work guidelines earlier issued, which stopped members of the public service from Grade Level 1 to 12 from going to work; we have had to review this position and we are extending the directive to all civil servants, regardless of level," Sanwo-Olu said.

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng: Same great journalism, upgraded for better service!

Market Survey: Coronavirus cannot kill everyone in Nigeria | Legit TV

Source: Legit.ng

Online view pixel