- Some people in Borno still don't believe that Covid-19 is real in Borno state
- According to the state deputy governor, Umar Kadafur, many of these people still disobey the social distancing rule.
- Kadafur said they are still participating in burial ceremonies and observing congregational prayers
- PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed!
Despite the devastation currently being wrecked by the novel coronavirus on the people of the world, some residents of Borno still don't believe that the dreaded disease is real. This was disclosed by Umar Kadafur, chairman of the state response team for the prevention and control of COVID-19.
According to Kadafur, who is also the deputy governor of the state, many people still disobey the social distancing rule by participating in burial ceremonies and observing congregational prayers.
He described the situation as “unfortunate,” the Cabl reports.
“When Boko Haram started, a lot of people felt it was something not to be taken seriously, until when it consumed everybody. This COVID-19 is another Boko Haram coming, and yet people don’t believe it’s real,” a statement quoted Kadafur to have said.
“I keep saying it’s real. As a response team, we’ll continue telling the general public and reaching out with advocacy.”
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had reported that a total of 69 persons have tested positive for coronavirus in Borno state. The state government has confirmed that sixteen health workers are among those who tested positive.
The state has also recorded 11 deaths.
This was disclosed on Saturday, May 2, by Usman Umar Kadafur, deputy governor and chairman of the response team for the prevention and control of the spread of coronavirus in Borno state during a press briefing.
Speaking to newsmen, Kadafur said the committee has been working really hard to ensure the disease does not spread.
According to him, the situation has been contained and brought under control by medical and surveillance teams, which also informed the need to increase the number of isolation centres in the state.
The deputy governor urged members of the public to be wary of the dangers posed by the coronavirus.
Also speaking, the state commissioner for health, and secretary of the response committee on coronavirus, Aliyu Salisu Kwaya Bura, gave reasons for the increase in the number of deaths.
Bura explained that some who had underlying ailments like diabetes, typhoid, asthma, pneumonia, high fever and kidney disease are prone to complications as a result of COVID-19 infection.
The commissioner called on the media to help spread the word on the need for the public to maintain proper personal hygiene, wear face masks, maintain social distancing even at burials and continue to obey the standing rules.
He also appealed to the media to cooperate and show understanding in the coverage of the COVID-19 situation in the state and activities of response committee in order not to create panic and mislead the public.
NAN reports that he said about 2,000 Personal Protection Equipment (PPE), had been ordered by the state.
“At the moment, none of our patients is at a critical state. They are at the isolation centres receiving medical attention; though the kind of attention varies for those with mild symptoms and those with moderate symptoms,” Kwaya-Bura added.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We keep evolving to serve our readers better.
How I go sitdon for house when I no get husband? - Market woman - Legit TV