- China has reacted after Nigerian lawyers sued the Asian country for N77 trillion ($200 billion) in damages over the outbreak of COVID-19
-The Chinese government in a statement said the deadly coronavirus is a common enemy to all mankind
- Recall that The lawyers announced plans to begin a class action suit against China over the effects of the pandemic on Nigeria
The People’s Republic of China has released a statement in reaction to the planned N77 trillion ($200 billion) coronavirus lawsuit from Nigerian lawyers over the effects of the coronavirus pandemic on Nigeria.
According to Daily Trust, the Chinese government called solidarity internationally and urged countries not “resort to mutual accusation or demand retribution and accountability” over the outbreak of coronavirus.
Though the virus was first recorded in Wuhan, China back in December 2019, it has however spread to many countries across the world.
It would be recalled that the team of Nigerian lawyers, announced a plan to begin a class action worth billions of dollars against China over the pandemic on Nigeria at the International Court of Justice (ICJ), The Hague.
Sun Saixong, the press secretary of the Chinese Embassy in Nigeria on Thursday, April 30, in a statement said its government pledged to stand with Nigeria in the fight against COVID-19
He said: “Our people are joining hands to overcome the current difficulties. The virus is a common enemy to all mankind and may strike anytime, anywhere. Like other countries, China is also a victim, not a perpetrator, even less an accomplice of COVID-19.
Since the outbreak of COVID-19, in an open, transparent and responsible spirit, China has taken the most comprehensive, rigorous and thorough measures to contain its spread and conduct international cooperation.
“In this process accumulated valuable experience and made global contribution to the global response.”
The Nigerian lawyers are said to be demanding $200 billion in damages for the “loss of lives, economic strangulation, trauma, hardship, trauma, hardship, social disorientation, mental torture and disruption of the normal daily existence of people in Nigeria.”
The lawyers intend to institute the action at the federal high court in Abuja and to persuade the federal government to institute
Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that in an unprecedented move, a state in the United States of America, Missouri, decided to sue the Chinese government and other top institutions over the spread of coronavirus pandemic.
The state accused China of covering up information, silencing whistleblowers and doing little to stop the spread of the disease. This was disclosed by Missouri attorney general, Eric Schmitt, whole filed the civil lawsuit in federal court in the eastern district of Missouri.
The lawsuit claims "Chinese authorities deceived the public, suppressed crucial information, arrested whistleblowers, denied human-to-human transmission in the face of mounting evidence."
In other news, the Chinese government donated the sum of forty-eight million, one hundred and twenty thousand naira (N48,120,000) to the Presidential Task Force (PTF) in an effort to curb the spread of coronavirus in Nigeria.
Zhou Pingjian, the Chinese ambassador, presented the cheque on Thursday, April 23, in Abuja.
Pingjian speaking at the event said the donation from China is an acknowledgment of the long-standing relationship with the Nigerian government.
He said that China to the best of its ability is ready to support Nigeria’s fight against COVID-19.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We have upgraded to serve you better.
Coronavirus: My business has collapsed totally - Man laments | Legit TV