Bauchi governor authorizes use of chloroquine for COVID-19 treatment

Bauchi governor authorizes use of chloroquine for COVID-19 treatment

- The use of chloroquine to treat coronavirus has been authorized by Governor Bala Mohammed in Bauchi state

- The governor noted that when he tested positive for COVID-19, he was treated with “chloroquine and Zithromax”

- Mohammed stated that as the governor, he would take responsibility for any consequences for allowing chloroquine to be used

Bauchi state governor, Bala Mohammed, on Wednesday, April 29, said he has authorized the use of chloroquine as a medication to treat coronavirus, Premium Times reports.

The governor while providing an update on COVID-19 in the state, at the Government House, said he was treated with “chloroquine and Zithromax” as the index case in the state.

“Zithromax and chloroquine are not harmful to our body, our physiological system has adapted to it. If you are having a fever you take chloroquine,” he said.

Mohammed went on to note that as the governor of Bauchi he would take responsibility for any consequences of approving the drug because he doesn't want anyone to die.

Bauchi governor authorizes use of chloroquine for COVID-19 treatment

Bauchi governor authorizes use of chloroquine for COVID-19 treatment. Photo credit: UGC
Source: Twitter

He said: “Our medical team is using their own ingenuity to use chloroquine and Zithromax to treat the patients, even though in some places, they said it is against the protocol.

I have given you the directive that you must use something that I have used to get well, just as you have used for all other cases that got well.

“Rather than saying that something is harmful, we should not follow what the white people are saying by not taking anything and die."

The Bauchi state governor noted that Nigerians are used to taking chloroquine and they are going to use them.

Mohammed added that the reason Bauchi has not recorded any death is because of the use of the drugs.

PAY ATTENTION: Get the Latest Nigerian News Anywhere 24/7. Spend less on the Internet!

Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that the coronavirus pandemic has claimed the lives of two persons in Kano, according to the Ministry of Health in the state on Thursday, April 30.

In its official tweet, the ministry also revealed that the number of cases in the state as at Thursday was 24.

This recent development brings the number of confirmed cases in the state to 139. The health ministry, in light of the news, warned residents in the state to strictly adhere to the directives of the government on social distancing.

So far, the state has not recorded any number of discharged case of the virus since its index case was reported.

In other news, the Kaduna state government on Thursday, April 30, announced that sixteen (16) new cases of coronavirus in the state were Almajiris deported from Kano state.

This was disclosed in a statement by Dr. Amina Mohammed-Baloni, the state commissioner for health, and shared on Twitter by the state government. Mohammed-Baloni explained that the COVID-19 result of the Almajiris' tests came out positive from the samples of 40 who took the test.

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng: We have upgraded to serve you better.

Coronavirus: The US govt gave me over 400k to stay at home - Nigerian in US - LegitTV

Source: Legit

Online view pixel