- The federal government has written 10 banks over P&ID Ltd gas deal
- The government also sought former president Goodluck Jonathan and Diezani's account details
- Jonathan, however, said that he did not have any foreign account
The federal government has sought the bank account statements of some former public office holders from 10 foreign and local banks on the controversial Process & Industrial Developments (P&ID) Ltd gas deal.
Leadership reports that among those affected by the request are former president Goodluck Jonathan and his wife, Patience; former ministers of petroleum resources, Diezani Alison-Madueke and Rilwanu Lukman, who died on July 21, 2014.
Legit.ng gathered that the banks, which the details are required from are Citigroup, JPMorgan Chase, and New York branches of Deutsche Bank AG and United Bank for Africa (UBA) Plc.
According to the report, the attorney-general of the federation and minister of justice, Abubakar Malami (SAN), said the federal government is requesting that “all documents concerning any transactions, to, from, or for the benefit” of Jonathan and his wife between 2009 and the present day."
Malami said that the information contained in the document would help an ongoing investigation by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) to know individuals in the P&ID ltd gas deal.
The newspaper said that although Malami didn’t mention Jonathan as a subject of the EFCC probe, the former president’s name appears alongside the ex-ministers in Nigeria’s proposed subpoenas.
Recent international media reports suggested the Nigerian government had subpoenaed bank records for Jonathan and his wife, Dame Patience, in the United States of America.
It was also gathered that Jonathan encouraged US authorities to cooperate fully with the Nigerian government on its demands.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that Jonathan responded to reports of plans by the federal government to subpoena he and his wife's bank records in the United States of America.
It was gathered that the former president through his spokesman, Ikechukwu Eze, on Tuesday, April 28, said his commitment to the Nigerian project is total.
Eze said that the former president has no foreign account anywhere in the world.
He said the federal government did not contact Jonathan or his wife before issuing the subpoenas, saying, "if they had, we would have advised them of the fact that you cannot subpoena what does not exist."
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We have upgraded to serve you better
Bayelsa election: Jonathan expresses disappointment over INEC’s conduct | - on Legit TV