Coronavirus: Osun reveals details about 49 new returnees from Ivory Coast
- Osun government has allayed the fear of the people of the state over the new returnees from Ivory Coast
- 49 new returnees arrived the state on Thursday, April 23
- Funke Egbemode, the state commissioner for information and civic orientation, however, said that the returnees have tested negative of COVID-19
The government of Osun has made clarifications on the new returnees from Ivory Coast into the state, saying that official reports showed that they have all tested negative for coronavirus pandemic.
Legit.ng reports that in a statement issued on Thursday, April 23, by the state commissioner for information and civic orientation, Funke Egbemode, the government allayed fears and panic in the public about the returnees.
The state government said out of 49 indigenes of Osun who returned to the state from Ivory Coast, 41 are from Ejigbo and 8 from Iwo.
The statement read: "This is to officially allay the fears and panic in the public informed by insinuations that the state government of Osun allowed a new batch of Ivory Coast returnees into the state, after the first experience which led to a surge of confirmed cases of the COVID-19 disease in the state.
"These 49 indigenes of Osun, on arrival from Ivory Coast, were graciously received by the Lagos state government at the Nigeria-Benin border, were quarantined for 14-days in Lagos State's facility in Badagry where they were tested for COVID-19 infection during the period."
Egbemode added that those who tested positive to the disease were moved into isolation wards in Lagos, while those who tested negative to the infection were cleared and those from Osun were allowed to return to the state of Osun, their destination.
She said: "The state government of Osun hereby assures its citizens that there is no cause for alarm or reason to panic. The returnees who were accepted into the State have been certified to join the society by the appropriate agencies of the government. Hence, they pose no risk or threat to the people of Osun."
PAY ATTENTION: Get the Latest Nigerian News Anywhere 24/7. Spend less on the Internet!
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) on Thursday, April 23, said that 223 out of the 873 confirmed COVID-19 cases in the country got infected from “unknown sources.”
It was reported that this was contained in its situation report of April 22, published on Thursday, April 23, and which covered 25 states and the federal capital territory (FCT).
It was gathered that out of the total of 873 cases, 197 persons have been discharged, while 28 deaths have occurred; the three deaths reported on Wednesday occurred in Ekiti, Oyo and Borno.
In another report, the Lagos state government disowned a list making the round on social media of hospitals and health facilities purportedly exposed to COVID19 cases in the state.
The purported list had claimed that the Lagos state's Ministry of Health advised residents not to patronise the hospitals allegedly exposed to the virus.
In her reaction, the executive secretary of the Lagos Health Facility and Accreditation Agency (HEFAMAA), Dr Abiola Idowu, said the ministry never issued any statement advising the public not to patronize certain facilities in the state.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We have upgraded to serve you better
The Nigerian government cannot handle this pandemic - Woman | - on Legit TV