Coronavirus: Governor Zulum locks down Borno as state's COVID-19 cases rise to three
- Borno state will be under total lockdown, starting from Wednesday night, Governor Zulum has announced
- The Borno governor made the move as the state's COVID-19 cases rise to three
- According to Zulum, the lockdown will be in place for 14 days after which the situation will be reviewed
Governor Babagana Zulum has through an Executive Order imposed a total lockdown of Borno state as the number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in the state rises to three.
According to Daily Trust, Governor Zulum announced the lockdown which will take effect from 10.30pm on Wednesday, April 22, in a state-wide broadcast on Monday night, April 20.
Two more COVID-19 cases in Borno were confirmed by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) on Monday night, bringing Borno’s total to three.
Governor Zulum said the lockdown would be for an initial period of 14 days, adding that the human and vehicular restrictions exclude “providers of essential services.”
According to him, all citizens and other residents are to stay in their home while all public gatherings are restricted.
All offices and businesses in Borno state are also expected to be fully closed during the lockdown.
The Borno state governor added that security agencies have been directed to enforce the lockdown order.
He explained that the lockdown period will be used to accelerate the tracing and isolation of persons who have been in contact with the infected patients.
The governor added that a team led by his deputy will be providing daily media briefing to give updates on the COVID-19 fight starting from Tuesday, April 21.
The team will also provide citizens with updates and information on access to essential needs such as food, medical services and automated banking services.
PAY ATTENTION: Get the Latest Nigerian News Anywhere 24/7. Spend less on the Internet!
Legit.ng had earlier reported that Governor Zulum raised concerns over the confirmation of COVID-19 cases in the state, describing it as “fresh pepper on fresh injury”.
He said the confirmation of the infectious disease is an added burdened to the northern state which has been battling insurgency for over a decade.
His words: “COVID-19 is real and it has reached us in Borno state.
“With our 11-year burden of dealing with the Boko haram insurgency and its mortal impacts, the coming of COVID-19 amounts to having fresh pepper on fresh injury.”
In another report, former senator Dino Melaye has shared his opinion about the coronavirus lockdown and the effect it is having on Nigerians.
The politician shared a post on his Instagram page to talk about how the lockdown is affecting Nigerians financially.
He shared the post with a photo of him posing at the back of a car, dressed in burgundy native wear.
According to the famous and controversial politician, Nigerians are in a period when spending is all about calculation and nothing more.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We have upgraded to serve you better
Coronavirus: Where is the N30k the government promised us? - Father of 5 cries out | - on Legit TV