Breaking: Fire breaks out at INEC office in Abuja
- INEC office in Abuja is currently on fire
- Oluwole Osaze-Uzzi, the INEC's director of publicity and voter education, confirmed the incident
- The cause of the fire incident is, however, yet to be ascertained
A section of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) complex in Abuja has been gutted by fire.
The Cable reports that the director of publicity and voter education of the INEC, Oluwole Osaze-Uzzi, confirmed the incident on Friday, April 17.
Legit.ng gathered that he said the fire only affected the office of the director of the election and party monitoring in the building.
He said: ”Yes, there was a fire incident. Fortunately, we have a fire unit in the office. It was put out. Some equipment and correspondence were affected. But no sensitive material was affected.”
It would be recalled that there have been cases of fire outbreaks at government offices lately.
A part of the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC) headquarters in Abuja was gutted by fire on Wednesday, April 15.
A section of the office of the accountant-general of the federation was also razed by fire some days ago.
The Federal Fire Service (FFS) said it successfully extinguished the fire outbreak at the office of the AGF.
The FFS's public relation’s office in a post on its official Facebook page showed the building and its officials as well as their fire fighting trucks in current pictures.
The building tagged “Treasury House” is located beside the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) police command in the Garki area of Abuja, the nation's capital.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that President Muhammadu Buhari expressed sadness over the fire incident that killed at least 14 people at an Internally Displaced Persons (IDP) camp in Borno state.
It was reported that the incident, which occurred on the evening of Thursday, April 16, in Ngala local government area of the state, also left many others injured.
The circumstances that led to the inferno have yet to be ascertained. The casualty figure was confirmed by presidential aide Garba Shehu in a statement.
The president who mourned the victims ordered the Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management, and Social Development to investigate the incident.
PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read the best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app
He also asked the ministry to report the circumstances that led to the incident and advise on how a future occurrence would be averted.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) - Legit.ng We have upgraded to serve you better.
Abule Ado fire: Lives lost, houses destroyed in Lagos explosion | - on Legit TV