Zulum sends delegation to Chibok, releases 500 bags of rice, N5.6m to parents of 112 missing girls
- Governor Zulum has sent a delegation to Chibok schoolgirls' parents who marked the 6th year abduction of their children
- Over 200 schoolgirls of Government Secondary School in Chibok were abducted on April 14, 2014
- The parents of the Chibok girls, however, lauded Zulum for his compassion
A delegation of commissioners and a lawmaker sent by Governor Babagana Umara Zulum of Borno state was in Chibok on Tuesday, April 14, to support the agonising parents who marked the sixth year of the abduction of their 112 daughters by Boko Haram insurgents.
Legit.ng's regional reporter in Maiduguri, Inusa Salihu, reports that a prayer session was also held in Chibok for the abducted Chibok girls.
The commissioners of education, women affairs, poverty alleviation, and the member, representing Chibok at Borno assembly, delivered Governor Zulum’s message of empathy, hope, and assurance to the parents of the missing girls.
The governor presented 500 bags of rice (25kg), 250 gallons of cooking oil and N5.6m cash as social support for parents of the 112 girls still held by Boko Haram.
The majority of the parents are subsistent farmers, whose productivity has been affected by agony.
Boko Haram insurgents had on April 14, 2014, attacked a Government Secondary School in Chibok and abducted over 200 schoolgirls while writing the West African Secondary School Certificate Examination (WASCE).
The state commissioner for education, Bello Ayuba, told parents and community members at Chibok, that being fathers of female children, President Muhammadu Buhari and Governor Zulum would never give up on the rescue of the remaining schoolgirls.
“Governor Zulum has asked us to inform you that in all his meetings with President Buhari, the president has consistently shown concern and commitment to the rescue of the missing girls. The president and the governor are fathers, with daughters. They know how you feel and they share your pains.
"The governor sends his empathy, and as you all have seen in his activities and visits to Chibok, the governor holds Chibok very dear to his heart. Let us remain hopeful and prayerful, while our leaders sustain their concerted efforts,” Ayuba said.
The state commissioner of women affairs, Zuwaira Gambo, and that of poverty alleviation, Nuhu Clark, who hails from Chibok took turns to support and raise the spirits of the parents.
Reacting to Zulum's kind gestures, the parents of the 112 missing schoolgirls lauded the governor for his compassion towards them.
Yakubu Keke, who spoke on behalf of the parents, said Zulum’s interest in the development of Chibok and the rest of Borno is clear to everyone.
He said the parents are grateful to the governor for his show of concern, urging him and the president to remain determined in trying to rescue the missing girls.
PAY ATTENTION: Get the Latest Nigerian News Anywhere 24/7. Spend less on the Internet!
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that amid intensified efforts on the fight against the coronavirus pandemic, President Muhammadu Buhari ordered that 4,000 COVID-19 tests should be conducted daily.
The director-general of Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), Chikwe Ihekweazu, made this known during the presidential task force meeting on COVID-19 on Wednesday, April 14.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We have upgraded to serve you better
Coronavirus: Where is the N30k the government promised us? - Father of 5 cries out | - on Legit TV