Bill Gates says Trump's decision to halt WHO funding is dangerous

Bill Gates says Trump's decision to halt WHO funding is dangerous

- Microsoft co-founder, Bill Gates, fault President Trump’s decision to suspend funding to the World Health Organization (WHO)

- Gates describes Trump’s decision as dangerous, noting that the world needs the WHO now more than ever

- President Trump had earlier announced that the US would be halting funding to the WHO for a period of 60 to 90 days

Microsoft co-founder, Bill Gates, has faulted President Trump’s decision to suspend funding to the World Health Organization (WHO).

Gates in a tweet on Wednesday, April 15, described Trump’s decision as dangerous, noting that the world needs the WHO more than ever.

Bill Gates says Trump's decision to halt WHO funding is dangerous
Microsoft co-founder, Bill Gates, says the world needs the WHO now more than ever
Source: UGC

"Halting funding for the World Health Organization during a world health crisis is as dangerous as it sounds. Their work is slowing the spread of COVID-19 and if that work is stopped no other organization can replace them. The world needs @WHO now more than ever,” he tweeted.

Read also

FG disagrees with US senator’s move against returning $320m Abacha loot

Gates made the statement after Trump announced that the US would halt funding to the WHO for a period of 60 to 90 days while it reviews the role the organization played in managing the spread of the coronavirus.

Meanwhile, Dr Chikwe Ihekweazu, director-general of Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), says wide-range testing and effective tracking of the COVID-19 cases by the health personnel are some of the major banes impending the fight against coronavirus.

Speaking during the daily conference on the presidential task force on COVID-19 on Tuesday, April 14, the NCDC chief director said the federal government has successfully solved the problem of laboratory testing capacity.

Ihekweazu, however, said the disease control centre has not been able to find a solution to "how active our public health workforce is in identifying suspected cases and collecting samples."

Ihekweazu also added that Nigeria now has the capacity to test 1,500 per day, though President Muhammadu Buhari wants the testing capacity to increase to 2,000 daily.

Read also

Coronavirus: Trump threatens to slash US funding to World Health Organisation

In another news, a young Nigerian man, Ichor Joshua, has led a team of engineers, to build a locally-made ventilator so that more people can survive the pandemic. He said that while there has been a lot of focus on high-tech ventilators, they worked on the ventilator to cater to environments without resources like power supply.

PAY ATTENTION: Get the Latest Nigerian News Anywhere 24/7. Spend less on the Internet!

Called an S-Vent, Joshua said that the machine was built using materials and components that make it easy to build the ventilator anywhere.

With its solar power technology, there is no limitation on where it could be used.

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We have upgraded to serve you better.

Coronavirus: Legit tv visits Lagos Isolation centre | Legit TV

Source: Legit.ng

Online view pixel