COVID-19: Donald Trump stops funding to WHO over handling of pandemic

COVID-19: Donald Trump stops funding to WHO over handling of pandemic

- President Donald Trump announces that the US is halting funding to the WHO to allow for a review on how the health agency

- The US president accuses WHO of contributing to the rapid spread of the virus and also playing a cover-up role

- Trump says the WHO proved that it was incompetent after it dismissed reports that coronavirus could be transmitted from human to human

President Donald Trump has announced that the US is halting funding to the World Health Organisation (WHO) to allow for a review on how the health agency has been steering fight against coronavirus.

During his address on Tuesday, April 14, Trump accused WHO of contributing to the rapid spread of the virus and also playing a cover-up role thus complicating the fight against the global pandemic.

Coronavirus crisis: Donald Trump halts funding to WHO over handling of pandemic

Coronavirus crisis: Donald Trump halts funding to WHO over handling of pandemic
Source: UGC

Trump further blamed WHO for what he termed as being Chinacentric despite the US contributing $400 million to $500 million to the WHO each year.

"I am instructing my administration to halt funding of the WHO while a review is conducted to assess its role in severely mismanaging and covering up the spread of the coronavirus.

American taxpayers provide between 400 million and 500 million dollars per year to WHO and in contrast, China contributes roughly 40 million dollars (KSh 4 billion) a year and even less. As the organisation's leading sponsor the United States has a duty to insist on full accountability," Trump said.

According to Trump, WHO was opposed to initial strategies he had laid to help ward off the disease that broke out in China in December 2019.

The agency, Trump said, heavily criticised him after he ordered travel restrictions in January 2020 when the pandemic was still unleashing terror in China.

"One of the most dangerous and costly decisions from the WHO was its disastrous decision to oppose travel restrictions from China and other nations.

They were very much opposed to what we did. Fortunately, I was not convinced and I suspended travel from China," Trump said insisting that the situation would have been even worse if he would have not acted.

Trump said WHO proved that it was incompetent after it dismissed reports that coronavirus could be transmitted from human to human and decided to use a "misleading" narrative provided by the Chinese government.

PAY ATTENTION: Get the Latest Nigerian News Anywhere 24/7. Spend less on the Internet!

"They failed to investigate credible reports from sources in Wuhan that conflicted directly with the Chinese government's official accounts. There was credible information to suspect human-to-human transmission in December 2019. This should have pushed WHO to investigate but they didn't.

In the middle of January 2020, WHO publicly endorsed the idea that there was no human-to-human transmission happening despite reports and clear evidence to the contrary," stated Trump.

In another news, the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) on Tuesday night, April 14, announced eleven cases of coronavirus, bringing the total number of Covid-19 cases to 373.

The disease control agency earlier on Tuesday reported nineteen (19) cases as Akwa Ibom got one more patient. In what caused a huge scare, NCDC announced the new eleven cases - meaning Nigeria recorded the highest number of coronavirus cases within the run of twenty-four hours.

In a tweet by the centre at exactly 11:00 pm, all the eleven cases were recorded in Lagos as the Covid-19 toll in Nigeria's economic capital tragically rose to 214.

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We have upgraded to serve you better

Coronavirus: Legit tv visits Lagos Isolation centre | Legit TV

Source: Legit.ng

Online view pixel