COVID-19: Ekiti state extends lockdown order, makes wearing facemask compulsory
- Ekiti state governor, Kayode Fayemi, has extended the lockdown in the state for another two weeks
- This was contained in the governor's statement issued by Biodun Oyebanji, the secretary to the state government
- Fayemi also announced that wearing of facemasks in public places is now compulsory as from Tuesday, April 14
In a bid to curb the spread of coronavirus in Ekiti state, Governor Kayode Fayemi on Monday, April 13, extended the COVID-19 lockdown by an additional two weeks.
This information was disclosed in a statement issued by Biodun Oyebanji, the secretary to the state government and shared on the Twitter account of the governor.
However, Fayemi noted that restriction of movement during the lockdown will be relaxed on Thursdays, April 16 and April 23, between 6 am and 2 pm to enable residents to restock their homes with essentials.
The Ekiti state governor went on to note that wearing of facemasks in public places as from Tuesday, April 14, is now compulsory. He added that plans are being finalized to make the masks available for those on essential duties.
With the extension, the school on-line education programme for primary and secondary school students would continue, while gatherings of over twenty people are still prohibited.
Fayemi while noting that the extension is deliberately planned, said existing restrictions remain in force alongside the dusk to dawn curfew till Monday, April 27, when the lockdown order will expire.
Recall that Fayemi had relaxed the lockdown placed on the state over coronavirus as workers are now permitted to resume back to work from 6 am to 2 pm.
Addressing the people of the state after emerging from his 14-day isolation on Monday, April 6, Fayemi said the lockdown has been relaxed, Nigerian Tribune reports.
PAY ATTENTION: Get the Latest Nigerian News Anywhere 24/7. Spend less on the Internet!
Legit.ng previously reported that the second COVID-19 patient in Ekiti state has recovered from the virus as the person tested negative twice.
The Ekiti state governor who made this known on Twitter on Thursday evening, April 9, added that the patient has been discharged from the state's Infectious Disease Hospital on the same day.
Governor Fayemi expressed appreciation to the medical team that took care of the patient but noted that the war against the coronavirus pandemic is not finished yet and urged people of the state to continue to stay at home.
The number of COVID-19 patients who have recovered in Ekiti is now two as the state's index case has also been discharged.
Similarly, President Muhammadu Buhari has extended the lockdown in the Federal Capital Territory, Lagos and Ogun states for another two weeks. This was contained in the president's address to the nation on Monday, April 13.
Buhari said: “Having carefully considered the briefings and report from the Presidential Task Force and the various options offered, it has become necessary to extend the current restriction of movement in Lagos and Ogun states as well as the FCT for another 14 days effective from 11:59 pm on Monday, 13th of April, 2020."
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We have upgraded to serve you better
Coronavirus: Legit tv visits Lagos Isolation centre | Legit TV