Coronavirus: Kaduna govt raises alarm, says 57,000 new cases loom

Coronavirus: Kaduna govt raises alarm, says 57,000 new cases loom

- Kaduna state government has raised the alarm over COVID-19 scare in the state

- The cases of coronavirus in the state are now 6

- The state’s task force on COVID-19 said that the risk assessment of the pandemic could be up to 57,000 new cases if there is no implementation of the lockdown order

The Kaduna state government has expressed the fear that violation of the lockdown order in the state may jack up its cases of coronavirus to as high as 57,000.

The Nation reports that the fear was expressed by the state’s task force on COVID-19, saying that the risk assessment of the pandemic is troubling and could be up to 57,000 new cases if there is no effective enforcement and implementation of the lockdown order.

Legit.ng gathered that the task force was reacting to the sixth confirmed COVID-19 case involving a male patient who returned from Lagos state to Kaduna through a commercial vehicle after he tested positive for the deadly disease.

Just In: Ekiti free of COVID-19 as second patient is discharged after testing negative twice

It, however, said that it has commenced massive enforcement of the lockdown, especially to stop interstate travels till further notice as part of measures to avoid community transmission of the disease.

Coronavirus: Kaduna govt raises alarm, says 57,000 new cases loom

Governor Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna state
Source: Twitter

The report said that the leader of the task force and commissioner for internal security and home affairs, Samuel Aruwan, noted in an interview that it is important for people to observe the lockdown for as long as it is in effect for their own safety.

He said: “With the pandemic gradually spreading to neighbouring states coupled with the sixth imported case from far away from Lagos into Kaduna, we are not happy that the safe corridor provided for travelers has been serially abused since the lockdown was imposed, as people from elsewhere have been coming into Kaduna in droves in violation of the quarantine order.

“Now, security agencies have been issued an executive order to turn back any unauthorised vehicles into the state. Vehicles without approvals have been intercepted along Kachia road and Sabon Tasha area, with some commercial drivers abandoning their buses and fleeing in a bid to escape arrest.”

FG warns Nigerians, expect more coronavirus cases

PAY ATTENTION: Get the Latest Nigerian News Anywhere 24/7. Spend less on the Internet!

Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that there were mixed reactions among the residents of Anambra state on Sunday, April 12, following the recorded case of coronavirus and subsequent total lockdown of the state by the government to prevent the spread of the virus.

It was reported that while some welcomed the development, others urged the government to map out comprehensive measures to cushion the effect.

It was gathered that only security operatives were seen on the roads throughout the state on Sunday, April 12.

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) - Legit.ng We have upgraded to serve you better.

Covid19: Nigerians beg Buhari not to extend lockdown | - on Legit TV

Source: Legit

Mailfire view pixel