- The NCDC's statistics on the number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in Bauchi has been rejected by the state
- Bauchi's deputy governor, Senator Tela, said the disease control body erroneously reported earlier positive cases as new ones
- He said the state's task force has written to the NCDC to correct its error
The government of Bauchi has rejected the number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in the state announced by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) on Thursday, April 9.
Leadership newspaper reports that the state government said contrary to NCDC's record of 8, the state only has four confirmed cases.
The error in the statistics was pointed out by the state's deputy governor, Senator Baba Tela, who noted at a press briefing that the NCDC had made a mistake.
He said the disease control agency recorded earlier positive cases as new ones.
“What happened was that the NCDC made a mistake by recounting those that had already tested positive and were under treatment as new cases.
“Even though we equally share part of the blame because when we complained to them about the error, they told us that we would have labelled the samples properly to suggest that they were meant for re-examination,” the deputy governor said.
Baba Tela, who is the head of the special tasks force on COVID-19 in Bauchi, said the state had already written a letter to the NCDC to correct the mistake.
Baba Tela said, “I want to clarify that both the state government and the NCDC had their own share of the mistakes and we have had some conversation with them and I want to assure you that the mistake will be corrected.”
Legit.ng reported earlier that the NCDC said it had spotted an error in its record of the confirmed COVID-19 cases in the country.
While confirming 14 new cases on Thursday evening, April 9, taking the total confirmed cases to 288, the federal health agency noted that it erroneously reported two new cases for Bauchi state on Wednesday, April 8.
The agency said it later detected that the two cases were repeat tests from previously confirmed cases.
Days ago, the NCDC also apologised to the public for making an error in its update of coronavirus cases in the country.
On its official Twitter page, the NCDC said that on the number of cases in Nigeria on Friday, April 3, was actually 25.
It explained that the 26th case was a repeat result of a previously confirmed case and not a new one which was inadvertently reported from Osun state.
The said case, according to the agency, was from Oyo state.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We keep evolving to serve our readers better.
Coronavirus: Where is the N30k the government promised us? - Father of 5 cries out - on Legit TV