- The federal government has hinted on how the Chinese medical doctors who came to the country will be treated
- The minister of health, Osagie Ehanire, said the doctors will be quarantined for two weeks
- Ehanire said the Nigerian and Chinese government had this agreement earlier
The minister of health, Osagie Ehanire, has said that the 15 medical doctors who arrived the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja will be quarantined for 14 days.
Ehanire, speaking on Thursday, April 9, said that this was an agreement between the Chinese and Nigerian governments before the doctors arrived, The Nation reports.
The minister said: “They knew that before they came and have undergone tests before they left their country.
“Nevertheless, they will be in quarantine for 14 days. The Nigerian Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) has gone to see where they will be quarantined.”
He went on to say that the equipment the 15-member team brought will assist a lot to fill some existing gaps, adding that Nigeria now has 50 more ventilators.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng reported that Ehanire had received a group of 15 doctors from China.
The medical practitioners landed in Abuja with 16-ton test kits, ventilators, disinfection machine, disposable medical masks, pills, infrared thermometer and other items as requested for by the federal government.
The team is expected to share effective strategies in the containment of coronavirus with Nigerian doctors for the next two weeks.
The plan to invite a medical team from China had been vehemently rejected by the Nigeria Medical Association (NMA).
The rejection decision was disclosed by NMA president, Francis Faduyile, in a statement on Sunday, April 5.
He described the move as a misplaced priority and "a thing of embarrassment to the membership of the Association and other health workers who are giving their best in the fight against Covid-19 pandemic under deplorable working conditions.”
However, Garba Abari, director-general of the National Orientation Agency (NOA), claimed the Chinese medical team were only coming to share experiences with the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) and not to directly take charge of the fight against COVID-19 pandemic in the country.
This came a few days after the federal government explained that the Chinese medical experts expected in Nigeria were coming to share their experience with the NCDC about the coronavirus. Abari made the disclosure on Saturday, April 4, when speaking on a Federal Radio Corporation of Nigeria (FRCN) live programme in Abuja.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng: We have upgraded to serve you better.
Coronavirus: Nigeria's health minister speaks on chloroquine as cure for COVID-19 | Legit TV