Insecurity: Seven killed, two policemen missing in fresh attacks on Benue, Plateau

Insecurity: Seven killed, two policemen missing in fresh attacks on Benue, Plateau

- Fresh, separate attacks in Benue and Plateau states have left at least seven people dead, including a 10-year-old boy

- Two policemen have also been declared missing in the aftermath of the attacks which also left several houses burnt

- The police commands in the two affected states have confirmed the attacks, adding that investigations are already ongoing in the affected communities

Amid the coronavirus pandemic, Nigeria's security situation appears not to have improved as attacks by bandits and other criminal elements have continued unabated.

In separate attacks in Benue and Plateau states, not fewer than seven persons have been killed while two policemen were declared missing.

According to ThisDay, while three people were killed and two policemen declared missing in the attack in Benue state, four were killed in the Plateau state's attack.

Insecurity: Seven killed, two policemen missing in fresh attacks on Benue, Plateau
The governors of Benue, Plateau states; Samuel Ortom (left), Simon Lalong (right)
Source: UGC

Legit.ng gathers that Benue attack occurred in Jootar, a border settlement between the state and Taraba state. The attack was attributed to people suspected to be Jukun militia.

Read also

Anger in Kaduna as youths protest killing of 5 people by police over coronavirus lockdown

Casualties in the attack which left over a hundred houses burnt include at least three Tiv farmers.

In his reaction, the interim chairman of Ukum local government, Tortyokaa Ibellogo, condemned the attack, describing it as most unfortunate.

He wondered why the militia would cross over to Benue where there was no crisis, adding that Tiv farmers in Benue were not at war with the Jukun people.

Ibellogo called in the relevant security agencies to immediately intervene in the crisis.

The attack has also reportedly been confirmed by the Benue state police command.

ASP Sewuese Anene who is the state's police spokesman said three unidentified corpses have been recovered while two officers on duty in the area are yet to be found.

She added that investigations into the attack have kickstarted.

The Plateau attack occurred on Tuesday night, April 7, in Bassa local government area.

At least four persons were reportedly killed while six others sustained injuries also with many houses burnt.

Read also

Outrage in Somalia as unknown men molest 2 girls aged 3 and 4

Speaking on the attack, the chairman of Maingo Youth Development Association, Nuhu Nkali, said four persons were killed, including a clergyman, Pastor Mathew Tagwai and a 10-year-old boy.

Nkali added that no security agent was on ground to repel the attack as the soldiers in the community had been withdrawn after two of their men were killed.

He listed the deceased as Tagwai, 34 years old, Did Sunday, 21 years old; Duh Abba, 38 years old and Ishaku Abba, 10 years old

A resident of the village, Mr. Chayi Biri, who also confirmed the attack, said he narrowly escaped.

The attack has equally been confirmed by the police command in Benue state.

The command's spokesman, Gabriel Ubah Ogaba, said the commissioner of police, Isaac Akinmoyede, had directed the assistant commissioner of police in charge of operations to address the security challenges in the affected community.

Ogaba said investigations are ongoing, urging the community to cooperate by providing useful information.

Read also

How missing Osun coronavirus patient was apprehended by police

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read the best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

Earlier, Legit.ng reported that the war against banditry got a massive boost as troops of Operation Whirl Stroke of Nigerian Army recovered large quantities of arms and ammunition from fleeing bandits in Odejo and Odogoke communities of Agatu local government area of Benue state.

This was made known in a statement on Tuesday, March 24, by Brigadier General Bernard Onyeuko, the acting director of defence media operation.

Onyeuko said during the 'deadly clashes' between men of the Nigerian Army and bandits in the two settlements, several bandits were apprehended while many fled the gun scenes living behind their ammunition.

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We have upgraded to serve you better.

Nigerians will die of hunger than COVID-19 | Legit TV

Read also

10 people killed as midnight attack leaves Plateau community in tears and mourning

Source: Legit.ng

Online view pixel