Katsina government called out for lifting suspension of Jumat prayers amid pandemic

Katsina government called out for lifting suspension of Jumat prayers amid pandemic

- A Nigerian man has called out the Katsina state government for lifting the Jumat prayer suspension

- The Friday prayers were suspended for a time to contain the spread of coronavirus

- However, Katsina state government recently lifted the suspension despite the risk of coronavirus

The federal government had directed the lockdown of Lagos state, Abuja, and Ogun state to contain the spread of coronavirus. The government also placed a ban on religious gatherings and meetings of more than twenty people.

In a recent development, it was reported that the Katsina state government has decided not to follow the ban on religious gatherings as it lifted the suspension of Friday Jumat prayers in the state.

According to a press release, the state leaders had a meeting on Tuesday, April 7, to resume Jumat prayers in the state. The statement noted that the prayers would be conducted under strict rules.

Read also

Confusion as Katsina govt lifts ban on Friday prayers amid coronavirus

PAY ATTENTION: Read best news on Nigeria's #1 news app

The statement directed the Imams not to prolong sermons and Jumat attendees were advised to practice social distancing.

A Nigerian man identified as Badmus Akeem shared the press release on his Twitter account and called out the government. He noted that the grand mosque in Mecca and the prophet's mosque in Medinah have been closed since March 19.

Akeem said the measures were taken to combat the spread of the virus. He added that even the call to prayer in the mosques include a line asking people to stay at home but the Katsina government lifted their suspension of Jumat.

PAY ATTENTION: Do you have news to share? Contact Legit.ng instantly

Meanwhile, Legit.ng had earlier reported that despite the directive given by the Lagos and Ogun state government to halt all gatherings or meetings of more than fifty people in other to curb the spread of coronavirus, some Sunday service gatherings on Sunday, March 22, showed that two churches failed to follow the directive.

Read also

Reactions as Abuja pastor is arrested for holding service despite coronavirus pandemic

The Winners Chapel, Cannan Land, and Dunamis in Abuja held their Sunday service with more than fifty people in attendance. In videos streamed live to their members across the world, it could be seen that the congregation in both churches was more than the number required for gatherings by the Lagos and Ogun state government.

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We have upgraded to serve you better

Coronavirus: Nigerian man says only rich men can contract the deadly virus | Legit TV

Source: Legit.ng

Online view pixel