- President Buhari has ordered the Nigeria Customs Service to release 150 truckload of rice seized from smugglers
- The seized trucks of rice will be given to the Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development for distribution
- This is part of federal government's measure to cushion the effect of COVID-19 pandemic in the country
President Muhammadu Buhari has approved that the Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) release 150 truckloads of rice seized from smugglers to the Federal Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development.
This information was disclosed in a tweet from the federal government's Twitter handle on Tuesday, April 7.
Legit.ng gathered that this is part of the government's palliative measures to cushion the effect of the COVID-19 pandemic for Nigerians.
According to the tweet, the rice seized from smugglers would be distributed across the country immediately.
This is coming less than a week after veteran Nollywood actor Richard Mofe-Damijo popularly known as RMD called on the government to ask Nigerian customs where they keep seized foods.
Confusion as hoodlums steal food items meant for distribution to vulnerable in Bayelsa over coronavirus
The actor stated that the seized foods should be donated to poor Nigerians who do not have the means to feed themselves during this lockdown happening across the country.
According to him, food is a major part of the lockdown and the rice, tomato, vegetable oil and other foodstuffs in the possession of customs can go a long way to helping people.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that the transfer of N20,000 by the federal government to poor households in the Kwali area council of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Abuja has begun.
Sadia Umar-Farouk, the minister of humanitarian affairs, disaster management and social development, on Wednesday, April 1, said that this is part of President Muhammadu Buhari's plan to help vulnerable Nigerians to cope with the lockdown order over coronavirus.
Coronavirus capable of destroying economy - Lai Mohammed laments, reveals why Covid-19 corpses can't be claimed
Umar-Farouk added that the disbursement of the funds will continue for four months starting from March.
In a related development, Ayodele Fayose, the immediate past governor of Ekiti state, has called on governments at all levels, religious bodies, corporate organisations and well-meaning individuals to focus on strategic implementation of “stomach infrastructure.”
The Nation reports that Fayose, in a statement made available to newsmen on Monday, April 6, in Ado Ekiti through his media aide, Lere Olayinka, said that his advice should be taken seriously. Legit.ng gathered that the former governor said hunger can kill faster than coronavirus.
The former governor who added that the human and economic losses, occasioned by the pandemic, would be mind-boggling, stressed that “in the face of all these, leaders should remain as leaders and stand up for their people.”
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng Same great journalism, upgraded for better service!
Market Survey: Coronavirus cannot kill everyone in Nigeria | - on Legit TV