NCDC makes mistake on COVID-19 cases in Nigeria

NCDC makes mistake on COVID-19 cases in Nigeria

- The NCDC discovered that it made a mistake in its coronavirus update

- The agency said that it mistakenly gave the total number of new cases of the virus as 26, whereas it is actually 25

- The commission regretted this error and apologised to the public for this

The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) has apologised to the public for making an error in its update of coronavirus cases in the country.

On its official Twitter page, the NCDC said that on the number of cases in Nigeria on Friday, April 3, was actually 25.

It explained that the 26th case was a repeat result of a previously confirmed case and not a new one which was inadvertently reported from Osun state. The said case, according to the agency, was from Oyo state.

The NCDC expressed regret over this mistake and assured Nigerians that it is committed to giving only transparent and accurate reporting on the situation of the disease in the country.

Meanwhile, Legit.ng reported that following a report that six patients at the isolation centre escaped, the Osun state government had asked the public to disregard the news.

The government of Osun described as untrue reported that six persons escaped from one of the isolation centres in the state. Funke Egbemode, the commissioner for information, said headcount was conducted on Saturday morning, and it showed that only one person could not be accounted for.

PAY ATTENTION: Get the Latest Nigerian News Anywhere 24/7. Spend less on the Internet!

The patients were reported to have escaped from General Hospital, Ejigbo, where those suspected of contracting coronavirus were being kept.

“This morning we embarked on a headcount and found out that only one person could not be accounted for by officials stationed at the Isolation centre out of the 127 persons.

The State Government is currently investigating the matter and will ensure that the missing person is brought back to the Isolation centre and we will also ensure we trace all his contacts," Egbemode said.

This came shortly after Ismail Omipidan, chief press secretary to the state governor, told The Cable that after he saw the report of patients fleeing the isolation centre, he quickly called one of the numbers on a list of “escapee patients” circulating on social media.

According to him, the person who answered the call confirmed being at the isolation centre. “I can’t confirm the report that some persons have escaped from the isolation centre.

"We are about doing a headcount. I spoke with the commissioner for information on this issue,” he said.

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng: Same great journalism, upgraded for better service!

Market Survey: Coronavirus cannot kill everyone in Nigeria | Legit TV

Source: Legit

Online view pixel