- The federal government has denied free internet promises to Nigerians
- NCC made the disclaimer on Thursday, April 2, in a statement issued by its director, public affairs, Henry Nkemadu
- Nkemadu advised Nigerians to disregard the fake message from a website
The Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) has warned Nigerians, especially telecoms consumers, not to fall prey to a fraudulent message being circulated on the internet by a fraudulent website.
Legit.ng reports that the commission, in a statement issued on Thursday, April 2, by its director of public affairs, Henry Nkemadu, identified the fake website as https://covid-19-fg-grant.blogspot.com/?=1.
It said the website was asking Nigerians to apply for a free internet bundle, claiming it was being given by the Nigerian government in collaboration with NCC.
The telecommunication regulator said the website asked Nigerians to apply for free internet by clicking a web link, which automatically led to a webpage with a dialogue box where they were expected to fill in their bio-data and other demographics.
“Nigerian government, in collaboration with NCC, is offering all Nigerian citizens up to 20GB of data to stay at home and get up-to-date information in a bid to counter the spread of COVID-19. All Nigerian citizens are entitled to free Internet connection to stay at home safely and enjoy the internet in a bid to control the spread of COVID-19. The free internet package is available to everyone starting from Friday, March 27,” the deceptive website claims in its message.
The telecommunication regulator stated: “NCC wishes to state categorically that neither the Nigerian government nor the commission has issued such a message to Nigerian citizens.
"The fake website (https://covid-19-fg-grant.blogspot.com/?=1) is asking Nigerian citizens to apply for a free Internet bundle ostensibly being given by the Nigerian government in collaboration with NCC."
The statement further stated: "The website suspiciously asks Nigerians to apply for the free internet by clicking a web link, which automatically takes them to a webpage with a dialogue box where they are expected to fill in their bio-data and other demographics.
"For the avoidance of doubt, the NCC wishes to state categorically that neither the Nigerian government nor the commission has issued such a message to Nigerian citizens.
"In view of the above, the commission strongly advises Nigerian citizens and all telecom consumers to beware of this fraudulent, false and spurious claim. The general public should discountenance the falsehood which has gained traction by the rise in the tempo of its circulation.
The NCC, therefore, reiterates its commitment towards deepening access to telecoms services and its dedication to strengthening the protective measures it has instituted to safeguard the rights of over 128 million internet users across mobile networks in Nigeria.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that Worldometer.info revealed that the cases of the pandemic coronavirus have reached 1,016,568 while total deaths of 53,241 have been recorded globally.
It was reported has it that 213,151 cases have recovered from the disease while active cases are 750,176, adding that 712,512 (95%) are currently infected patients of COVID-19. About 37,664 (5%) cases are in mild condition as 213,151 cases had either recovered or discharged.
The total number recorded represents 53,241 (20%) The coronavirus is affecting 204 countries and territories around the world and two international conveyances: the Diamond Princess cruise ship harboured in Yokohama, Japan, and Holland America's MS Zaandam cruise ship.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We have upgraded to serve you better
Coronavirus: The govt cannot force us to stay at home | - on Legit TV