- An unidentified man has been reportedly killed by a soldier in Delta state
- The man met his untimely death amid the lockdown directive given by Governor Ifeanyi Okowa
- Onome Onovwakpoyeya, the state police public relations officer, confirmed the incident
The police authorities in Delta state, south-south Nigeria, have confirmed the death of a yet-to-be-identified man who was reportedly shot dead by an unknown soldier during coronavirus lockdown in the state.
Channels TV reports that the incident occurred on Thursday, April 2, at Ugbuwangue community in Warri South local government area of the state, on the second day of the lockdown directive issued by the state governor, Ifeanyi Okowa.
Legit.ng gathered that the police in the state confirmed the killing to Channels TV, saying they have commenced an investigation into the incident.
The police public relations officer in the state, Onome Onovwakpoyeya, however, noted that the details of the incident were unclear.
She said: “Yes, it is true. It just happened today, as I was told, and there is not much information yet.”
The chairman of Warri South local government, Michel Tidi, also told the television station that he had reported the case to the appropriate authorities.
He explained that he attended a meeting held at the office of the police area commander in Warri, over the incident.
He said that representatives of the Nigerian Army and other security agencies, as well as the community head and the head of the victim’s family were present.
On what was discussed at the meeting, he said they demanded that the soldier be prosecuted while assurances were given that the security official would be brought to justice.
“They (army authorities) assured the family; they assured me as the council chairman that they are going into the matter swiftly to ensure that the perpetrator of this crime is brought to book and of courses, they also promised to keep the family members posted regularly on how they go about their investigation,” the local government chairman said.
He added: “Everywhere is calm now. The matter is still under investigation and don’t forget there is a ‘stay at home’ order.
“We are just calling on our people to remain calm. The compliance level thus far in the local government has been quite impressive if not for this reported incident.”
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that following the complaints that some Nigerians were being tortured unjustly by personnel of the Nigerian Army, the military authority advised on how to report unprofessional conduct of any of its personnel during coronavirus lockdown.
It was reported that the Nigerian Army outlined various methods Nigerians could use to report the unprofessional conduct of any army personnel during the lockdown ordered by President Muhammadu Buhari in Lagos, Ogun and the FCT.
Also, a report obtained by Legit.ng from Worldometer.info indicates that the cases of the pandemic coronavirus have reached 1,016,568 while total deaths of 53,241 have been recorded globally. 7
The report has it that 213,151 cases have recovered from the disease while active cases are 750,176, adding that 712,512 (95%) are currently infected patients of COVID-19.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We have upgraded to serve you better
Coronavirus: 5 ways Nigeria is handling COVID-19 | - on Legit TV