Akure explosion: IGP orders investigation into Ondo disaster

Akure explosion: IGP orders investigation into Ondo disaster

- The police IG has ordered for an immediate investigation into the explosion that rocked Ondo state

- Adamu in a statement also set up an investigation team tasked with finding the immediate and remote cause of the tragic incident

- The IGP while sympathizing with the Ondo state government and people, called for calm among the residents

A few days after an explosion rocked Akure, the Ondo state capital, the Inspector-General of Police Mohammed Adamu has set-up a Special Investigation Team to unravel what caused the unfortunate incident.

Adamu disclosed this in a statement by DCP Frank Mba, the force public relations officer and made available to Legit.ng.

According to Mba, the team is headed by CP Maikudi A. Shehu, the commissioner of police in charge of the Explosive Ordinance Disposal Unit, Force Headquarters, Abuja. Others on the team include police officers from the Police Bomb Disposal Squad (Explosive Ordinance Disposal Unit).

Kano governor announces another preventive measure against spread of coronavirus

The officers will be working jointly with experts from the Nigerian Geological Survey Agency (NGSA) - the nation’s leading Research and Development Institution that is the sole repository of all geo-scientific data.

Akure explosion: IGP orders investigation into Ondo disaster

Police IG orders investigation into Ondo explosion
Source: Twitter

The IGP has expressed hope that the involvement of NGSA in the investigation will greatly enhance the quality and integrity of inquiry into the explosion.

While sympathizing with the government and people of Ondo state particularly the victims, Adamu called for calm and gave the assurance that the results of the investigations will be made public.

However, he urged residents living around the scene of the explosion to avoid the area so as not to tamper with the ongoing investigations.

PAY ATTENTION: Get the Latest Nigerian News Anywhere 24/7. Spend less on the Internet!

Legit.ng previously reported that no fewer than 100 residential buildings, school, churches were destroyed by an explosion suspected to be bomb blast in Akure, the Ondo state capital, on the morning of Saturday, March 28.

Coronavirus: Police arrest 9 persons for organising burial ceremony in Ebonyi

The blast which occurred in the early hours of the day cut off the ever-busy Akure /Owo road while many people were said to be injured. According to the report, the incident which happened less than a kilometre to Akure Airport, affected many residents of Eleyowo community, destroying completely a church and a school in the area.

Many people who lived within the church premises were said to be injured while some were rescued by the people of the community.

Similarly, a statement from the Ondo state police command has attributed explosives as the cause of the blast which occurred along the Akure Owo expressway in Ondo state.

Ondo state commissioner for police, Undie Adie, while speaking to newsmen at the scene of the explosion said that the blast which occurred on Saturday, March 28, happened after a vehicle transporting explosives to a storage facility in Edo state developed a mechanical fault.

Coronavirus: Kano govt orders closure of all Islamic schools with immediate effect

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) - Legit.ng We have upgraded to serve you better.

Abule Ado fire: Lives lost, houses destroyed in Lagos explosion | - on Legit TV

Source: Legit.ng

Online view pixel