History is one of the most beautiful things as it lets us know about some great people that lived n a different time. Abraham Lincoln quotes are a few examples of recorded evidence that the world had a few brilliant leaders at a time when they were needed the most. If you have read any literature on Lincoln, then you know that he is among the people that made America great.
Apart from his great leadership skills, Lincoln quotes are inspiring and uplifting. Anyone that needs to cheer themselves up, or push themselves to greatness even when there seems to be no hope would be empowered just by reading a few of the most popular Abe Lincoln quotes.
But just what are famous quotes? These would be the sayings of famous people that a good number of different people can identify with. This said the following are 30 famous quotes by Abraham Lincoln that you will certainly appreciate.
Famous Lincoln quotes of all time
What is Abraham Lincoln's most famous quote? This will depend on context. However, you can be sure that he was one man that tempered justice with mercy, and his belief in people was tremendous. If you have listened to any Abraham Lincoln speech, then you know that he had a certain trail of thought that came out in his words. He was one of the most inspiring presidents that ever lived. This explains why these are among the most famous presidential quotes.
What was Abraham Lincoln's motto? Most, if not all, of his quotes, stemmed from his strong belief and motto. It states,
To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan.”
The motto is drawn from Lincoln's revered second inaugural address, which was given in March 1865 as the civil war drew to a close, and the 16th president of the USA looked towards reconciliation with the defeated southern states.
Apart from his motto, some other powerful quotes and sayings have been associated with Lincoln. They include:
- Folks are usually about as happy as they make their minds up to be
The former president understood that happiness is a choice. Anyone can decide to be happy or not. It has nothing to with someone else.
- Whatever you are, be a good one.
He was a believer in doing things in the best way possible. While we all have different abilities and capabilities, it takes working hard and giving our all to stand out. Apparently, that is all you need to do.
- When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad.
It is clear that your deeds directly influence your mood and feelings. Choose to do good if you want to feel good always. The opposite is also true, so in the end, it is all about your choice.
- You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry.
Small or inconsequential things do not trivialize great men.
- Don’t worry when you are not recognized, but strive to be worthy of recognition.
As long as you are working towards recognition, be sure that you are on the right track even if no one notices you.
- A house divided against itself cannot stand.
Be cautious about letting discord separate you from the unity you have forged. A divided group falls easily.
- Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other.
When you have your mind in the right place, then nothing can stop you from going for what you truly believe in.
- You cannot escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.
Well, the reality of life is such that what you try to put off today will haunt you tomorrow.
- That some achieve great success is proof to all that others can achieve it as well.
When you realize that there is nothing new on earth and that everything has been done, somehow, the best you can come up with is to improve on what already exists. This is the motivation you need to keep working hard.
- I am a slow walker, but I never walk back.
The secret is not in speeds, but in the resolve to keep moving no matter how slow one is. This is what separates winners from losers.
Quotes from Abraham Lincoln that will make you think about life
How is Abraham Lincoln inspirational? Well, he was inspired by his father and his desire to end slavery, which he did. Lincoln loved to tell stories, and what came out were inspiring words that challenged the mind. These are what have been recorded for all to enjoy even today. Do you have a favorite Abraham Lincoln quote? The following are a few more of his sayings that will challenge you to look at life differently.
- Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?
This may have been a question, but if you reflect on it, you will appreciate the fact that maintaining peace and harmony is much better than having enemies. You make your enemies powerless when you embrace them and make them your friends.
- The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time.
Whenever you feel overwhelmed about issues, you can remind yourself about this truth; the future unfolds gradually. Choose to take a day at a time, and you will survive.
- I do not think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.
Failing to learn from past experiences is the best form of foolishness.
- I don’t know who my grandfather was; I am much more concerned to know what his grandson will be.
Your associations should not hold you back from becoming the greatest version of yourself. You owe it to yourself to be better than anyone else was.
- Life is hard but so very beautiful
No matter how challenging, there will always be something beautiful to look out for in life. Take a moment to appreciate the great things in life.
- You can have anything you want if you want it badly enough. You can be anything you want to be, do anything you set out to accomplish if you hold to that desire with singleness of purpose.
The reality of life is that every person has an inner power to become whatever they desire to be. However, the catch is to want it so bad that you are willing to focus one everything that will make it a reality.
- Character is like a tree and reputation its shadow. The shadow is what we think it is, and the tree is the real thing.
Be careful not to be dissuaded by look-alike and miss on the real deal.
- The best way to predict your future is to create it
Whatever life you want, work on creating it other than worrying about how it will be.
- Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe.
Inasmuch as hard work pays and yields results, how hard you work depends on how well you prepare. Take some time to prepare for all you have to do, and you are likely to do it better.
- We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.
Perspective matters. You have the choice to look at things positively or negatively. It is all in your hands.
- Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.
It is also a choice for you to wait for leftovers or be among those that seek the first portions of the best.
- Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.
Difficult times can be endured by all men as they have no choice but to keep fighting. However, you can only know someone's true character when they have the power to choose and control.
- If there is anything that a man can do well, I say let him do it. Give him a chance.
Do not be too quick to dismiss someone with potential; you may be surprised at the result when given a chance.
- My great concern is not whether you have failed, but whether you are content with your failure.
Failing is never the issue; the biggest challenge comes in when you are contented with failing.
- You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.
Be careful about how you treat people. People are different and should be treated as such.
- No man has a good enough memory to be a successful liar
Be careful of constantly lying, your memory will fail you at some point, and you will be discovered.
- Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
Silence is golden. You may be assumed wise just because you do not open your mouth to speak.
- Let not him who is houseless pull down the house of another, but let him work diligently and build one for himself, thus by example assuring that his own shall be safe from violence when built.
Avoid destroying other people's achievements, but instead, use it as a motivation to push yourself to the same height.
- A capacity, and taste, for reading, gives access to whatever has already been discovered by others.
Reading should be everyone's hobby, as this is the only way to know what others have done already.
- If you think you can slander a woman into loving you, or a man into voting for you, try it till you are satisfied.
There are things you cannot force anyone to do unless they want to do it themselves.
- I have talked with great men, and I do not see how they differ from others.
Everyone has it in themselves to be great. We are all created equally. The only difference is that those who emerge as great wanted it so bad that they worked hard to get there.
- How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Saying that a tail is a leg doesn’t make it a leg
Be careful not to be fooled by sweet words. The truth does not change just because it has been twisted or modified to sound better.
The best Abraham Lincoln quotes are not difficult to understand. He was a man of simple words, but powerful messages. Reading a lot more quotes from him will help you change your perspective about a lot of things. You are likely going to embrace peace more.