- Atiku Abubakar's son, Mohammed, has reacted to claims that he shook hands with the governor of Bauchi, Bala Mohammed
- The former vice president's son said that the report is false
- Mohammed told journalists on Tuesday, March 24, that he had no contact with the governor
The son of Atiku Abubakar, Mohammed Atiku Abubakar, has denied claims that he shook hands with the governor of Bauchi, Bala Mohammed, while on a plane they both boarded on Wednesday, March 18.
Speaking with journalists in a conversation on Tuesday, March 24, the former vice president's son said that he never had physical contact with Governor Mohammed who was said to have travelled with him from Lagos to Abuja on the said date, Premium Times reports.
The governor was said to have been in self-isolation after his return from Abuja and afterwards tested positive for coronavirus, a development which was confirmed by his media aide, Mukhtar Gidado.
Earlier, Legit.ng reported that Atiku's son had tested positive for the coronavirus disease (COVID-19).
The politician disclosed this in a tweet on his verified Twitter handle on Sunday night, March 22.
Atiku revealed that the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) has been duly informed about the situation and that his son had been moved to the Gwagwalada Specialist Hospital in Abuja for treatment.
He did not mention the name of which of his sons was infected by the disease. In another report, Atiku Abubakar called on the federal government to use power at its disposal to ensure the lives of Nigerians are protected against the deadly coronavirus.
The former presidential candidate of the PDP had recently advised the federal government to restrict flights from nations with a high prevalence of the coronavirus plague, following the discovery of index case of the disease in Lagos state.
In a statement he issued on Thursday, March 12, Abubakar also urged the government to take every reasonable step to protect the citizens of Nigeria by temporarily suspending flights to and from the affected countries until it builds up the ability to contain the coronavirus.
He, however, said that the borders should be open to Nigerian citizens regardless of their status, adding that despite the commendable efforts of patriotic health officials, the government was yet to identify and or locate multiple passengers who flew in with the index case from Italy.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng: Same great journalism, upgraded for better service!
Coronavirus: Are Nigerians really afraid of COVID-19? New survey reveals more | Legit TV