- Niger state governor, Alhaji Abubakar Sani Bello, has declared a shut down in the state
- Bello explained that the move became important following the rise in the Covid-19 cases confirmed in Abuja which is close to Niger state
- The restriction of movement, from 8am to 9pm, will commence on Wednesday, March 25
The governor of Niger state, Alhaji Abubakar Sani Bello, has reportedly declared a shut down in the state, declaring restriction of movement from 8am to 8pm, as Nigeria's confirmed coronavirus cases rise.
The Nation reports that the restriction of movement which the governor announced in a state broadcast on Monday, March 23, will commence on Wednesday, March 25.
Legit.ng gathers that Governor Bello said the move became necessary due to the new cases emerging from the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), noting theta Niger state is very close to the FCT.
Earlier, Legit.ng reported that the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) confirmed five new cases of coronavirus on Monday.
The new cases, according to the NDDC, include two in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), two in Lagos state and one in Edo state.
Two of the cases are returning travellers from the United Kingdon So far, there have been 35 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Nigeria and two have been discharged.
With the new development, Abuja now has six confirmed cases of coronavirus.
PAY ATTENTION: Read the best news on Nigeria's #1 news app
Meanwhile, Atiku Abubakar, a former vice president, has disclosed that his son has tested positive for the coronavirus disease.
The politician disclosed this in a tweet on his verified Twitter handle on Sunday night, March 22.
Atiku revealed that the NCDC has been duly informed about the situation and that his son had been moved to the Gwagwalada Specialist Hospital in Abuja for treatment.
He did not mention the name of which of his sons was infected by the disease.
Also, In another report, Atiku called on the federal government to use power at its disposal to ensure the lives of Nigerians are protected against the deadly coronavirus.
The former presidential candidate of the PDP had recently advised the federal government to restrict flights from nations with a high prevalence of the coronavirus plague, following the discovery of index case of the disease in Lagos state
In a statement he issued on Thursday, March 12, Abubakar also urged the government to take every reasonable step to protect the citizens of Nigeria by temporarily suspending flights to and from the affected countries until it builds up the ability to contain the coronavirus.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We have upgraded to serve you better.
Coronavirus: Nigerian man says only rich men can contract the deadly virus: Legit TV