FCTA withdraws call for sack of striking doctors

FCTA withdraws call for sack of striking doctors

- The House Of Reps says it has got the FCTA to withdraw the circular ordering the sack of striking doctors

- Lasisi, the spokesperson to House Speaker Gbajabiamila, confirmed that the FCTA withdrew the circular after a meeting with lawmakers, medical stakeholders and FCTA officials

- Nigerian Medical Association president, Faduyile, confirmed that the striking doctors have agreed to return to work while FCTA sources for funds to settle unpaid salaries and others

The Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) has withdrawn its threat to striking doctors that they would be sacked if they did not return to work promptly.

Legit.ng understands that the withdrawal came after an intervention by the members of Nigeria's House of Representatives on Friday, March 20.

A statement sent to Legit.ng by Lanre Lasisi, the special adviser to the Speaker of the House, Femi Gbajabiamila, confirmed the role of the legislators in the reversal of the threat.

Why we cannot suspend plenary over coronavirus - House of Reps

Lasisi said Rep members got the FCTA to withdraw a circular which mandated members of Abuja chapter of the National Association of Resident Doctors (NARD) to go back to work within 48 hours or consider themselves sacked.

The decision to withdraw the circular came after a meeting between the Rep. Tanko Sununu-led health committee, officials of the FCTA and leaders of the Nigerian Medical Association on Friday.

FCTA withdraws call for sack of striking doctors

Protesting doctors during a different strike recently. Photo: File
Source: Original

President of the Nigerian Medical Association, Dr Francis Faduyile, confirmed to the House Committee that the doctors have been told to resume work while the association continues with the negotiations with the FCTA on their behalf.

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read the best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

Legit.ng reported earlier that doctors in the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja, on Tuesday, March 17, kicked off an 'indefinite strike action' over unpaid salaries amid coronavirus crisis.

Stop using my name to extort people or be ready to face wrath of law - Magu warns

The doctors, under the aegis of NARD, announced the strike with the decision coming hours after Nigeria recorded the third case of coronavirus officially known as Covid-19.

In a statement by its president, Roland Aigbovo, NARD, Abuja chapter, said the action was as a result of FCT administration's failure to pay the salaries of doctors in Abuja, thus plunging them into a financial mess.

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We have upgraded to serve you even better than before

Coronavirus: Nigerian man says only rich men can contract the deadly virus | Legit TV

Source: Legit

Online view pixel