- Ikuenobe Jude was the man whose picture circulated online as the driver that drove the Italian coronavirus patient to Ogun state
- Jude, who was identified in the fake news as Adewale Isaac Olorogun, says he almost took his own life when the news circulated
- The man says he received a lot of death threats after the circulation of the fake news
A Nigerian man falsely accused to be the driver that drove the first case of coronavirus in Nigeria to Ogun state has said he almost took his own life when the fake news circulated online.
The man whose real name is Ikuenobe Jude said the fake news circulated because people wanted to tarnish his image.
Jude was identified in the fake news as Adewale Isaac Olorogun and his picture was accompanied with it.
Sharing his ordeal with BBC, he said nobody wanted to move close to him after the fake news was everywhere.
Legit.ng gathers that the picture used for the fake news was from a Buzzfeed article about Jude's experience with modern-day slavery.
Jude said: "I want to let the public know today that it's not me. I went, online I saw my picture in the news that I was the alleged Uber driver who drove the coronavirus patient that came from Italy to Nigeria, from Lagos to Ogun state.
"It was shocking to me because my name is not Adewale Isaac Olorogun but my picture was there. The comments that were on the media were 'shoot him at sigh!' 'pour acid from distance!' throw stones from distance'.
"My wife is telling me not to go out. My life is already at stake here. So if I'm moving around, I'm moving with friends and family so that anybody cannot just come somewhere and take my life."
Jude, who said he is from Edo state and has not been to Lagos for the past two years, called on the government to fight fake news.
Legit.ng previously reported that coronavirus scare in the country hit a frightening phase on Wednesday, March 18, as fives more cases of the global epidemic were reported, barely twenty-four hours after the Ministry of Health announced the third case.
The new developments were confirmed by the special adviser to President Muhammadu Buhari on new media, Tolu Ogunlesi.
In a series of tweet, Ogunlesi said four of the victims are Nigerians who just came from the United States of America and United Kingdom.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We have updated to serve you better
Coronavirus: Nigerians take advantage of every situation | - on Legit TV