Wadume: Court orders Buratai to release alleged army accomplices for arraignment

Wadume: Court orders Buratai to release alleged army accomplices for arraignment

- Chief of Army Staff, Lt.-Gen. Tukur Buratai, has been asked to produce an accomplice in Wadume's case in court

- The order was made on Monday, March 16, by a Federal High Court sitting in Abuja

- Some army officers were said to have aided the escape of a suspected kidnap kingpin, Wadume

A Federal High Court sitting in Abuja on Monday, March 16, ordered the Chief of Army Staff, Lt.-Gen. Tukur Buratai, to produce the army officers who were alleged to have aided the escape of a suspected kidnap kingpin, Hamisu Bala, also known as Wadume in Court.

Daily Nigerian reports that Justice Binta Nyako ordered Buratai or any other person whose custody the suspects were to provide them in court by March 30.

Legit.ng gathered that she said that the court shall enroll the order to the prosecution so that they could serve it to the parties involved.

You can't make any major appointment before NEC meeting - Court tells APC

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the Inspector General of Police (IGP), Mohammed Adamu, filed a 16 counts charge against one Taraba state kidnap kingpin, Bala Hamisu, aka Wadume, alongside 19 other suspects.

Wadume: Court orders Buratai to release alleged Army accomplices for arraignment

The suspected kidnap kingpin, Hamisu Bala, also known as Wadume being arrested by police.
Source: UGC

The charge, dated February 3, borders on terrorism, murder, kidnapping and illegal arms possession.

The suspects ordered by the Judge to appear before the court are the second to 11th respondents in the charge.

Soldiers of 93 Battalion, Takum, Taraba state, had on August 6, 2019, shot members of a special anti-crime squad from the Inspector General of Police Office, who had arrested Wadume and were transporting him to the state police command, Jalingo, for interrogation, killing three policemen and two civilians on the spot.

Earlier, prosecution counsel, Simon Lough, had told the court that on Jan 7, the IGP wrote to the chief of army staff and chief of defence staff, Gen. Abayomi Olonisakin, seeking for the release of the 2nd to 11th defendants to the police for the purpose of arraignment and prosecution in court.

We didn't banish Sanusi from Kano - Attorney-general

He, however, said that, although the served letters were acknowledged, the defendants were not released to appear before the court for arraignment.

In relation to section 87 and 159 of ACJA 2015, Lough further urged the court to compel those in custody of the defendants to produce them in court on the next adjourned date. NAN

PAY ATTENTION: Get the Latest Nigerian News 24/7. Spend less on the Internet!

Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that notorious kidnap suspect, Bala Hamisu, also known as Wadume was on Monday, March 16, arraigned for terrorism, murder, kidnapping, and possession of illegal arms by the Nigeria Police Force (NPF).

It was reported that Wadume alongside 18 others were arraigned at the Federal High Court in Abuja before Justice Binta Nyanko.

The notorious kidnap kingpin alongside his co-defendants arrived at the court amidst tight security by the Inspector-General of Police Intelligence Response Team.

JUST IN: Navy begins recruitment for 2020

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) - Legit.ng We have upgraded to serve you better

Pastor laments on kidnapping in slums - on Legit TV

Source: Legit.ng News

Online view pixel