Coronavirus: Italian patients 80 years and over will not receive intensive care

Coronavirus: Italian patients 80 years and over will not receive intensive care

- Coronavirus patients in Italy aged 80 and over will most likely not receive treatment at the intensive care

- This is under the emergency plans drawn up by the civil protection officials that were proposed recently

- The officials advise that if patients are too many, the application of criteria will be necessary

While Italy continues to battle the widespread of coronavirus, emergency plans being proposed in Turin indicates that coronavirus patients who are 80 years or more will not receive intensive care if the crisis worsens.

According to Daily Telegraph, the plans which were drawn up by officials of the civil protection warn that the application of criteria will be necessary for access to intensive treatment if there are too many patients.

The document, seen by the newspaper publication notes that part of the criteria includes the age of less than 80. So far, doctors described making life-or-death decisions about who can be treated and who may effectively be left to die.

Coronavirus: Yellow card now required for all travel - FG

One doctor said a patient's fate 'is decided by age and by health conditions', adding: 'This is how it is in a war.'

Coronavirus: Italian patients 80 years and over will not receive intensive care

Patients 80 years and over may not receive intensive care treatment in Italy.
Source: UGC

Giuseppe Conte, Italian prime minister while stating that the country is entering its 'riskiest weeks' gave a note of warning saying 'we have not yet reached the peak'.

According to the planning document, other health conditions of a patient will also be taken into account when beds in intensive care are allocated.

The document reads in part: "Should it become impossible to provide all patients with intensive care services, it will be necessary to apply criteria for access to intensive treatment, which depends on the limited resources available."

Officials acknowledge that the plans will force hospitals to 'focus on those cases in which the cost/benefit ratio is more favorable for clinical treatment' with the country suffering the worst outbreak in Europe.

Coronavirus: 3 suspected patients discharged in Lagos, case remains 1 nationwide as government gives update

PAY ATTENTION: Get the Latest Nigerian News Anywhere 24/7. Spend less on the Internet!

Legit.ng previously reported that following the outbreak of the deadly coronavirus around the world, universities, and schools in Italy were closed from Thursday, March 5, as the country continues to battle the epidemic.

The Italian government made the announcement, adding that the educational institutions across the country would be closed until Sunday, March 15. Italian prime minister, Giuseppe Conte, in the announcement noted that the country's health service risked being overwhelmed.

In a related development, the World Health Organisation (WHO) advised people to use contactless technology instead of cash as there are fears that banknotes may be spreading coronavirus.

We would advise people to wash their hands after handling banknotes, and avoid touching their face,” a WHO spokesperson said.

Last month banks in China and Korea began disinfecting and isolating used banknotes as part of efforts to stem the spread of the deadly virus.

House of Reps condemn killing of footballer, call for an investigation

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We keep evolving to serve our readers better.

Coronavirus: NOA DG reveals steps taken to prevent deadly epidemic | Legit TV

Source: Legit

Online view pixel