Benue attacks: Group declares war, gives herdsmen 48-hour ultimatum to relocate

Benue attacks: Group declares war, gives herdsmen 48-hour ultimatum to relocate

- War has been declared by youths in Benue state following the rise of attacks on their communities

- The Tiv Youth Organisation has given herdsmen in the state 48-hour ultimatum to relocate

- The group urged Tiv youths to embark on self-defense as a matter of urgency

The national leadership of the Tiv Youth Organisation (TYO) on Saturday, March 7, declared war on herdsmen following the repeated attacks and killing of innocent residents of Benue state.

According to the New Telegraph, the group who is worried by the increased attacks gave the herdsmen a 48-hour ultimatum to vacate the area and face elimination upon the expiration of their demand.

Timothy Hembaor, the national president-elect of the organization in a statement urged Benue youths of Tiv extraction to resort to self-defense to checkmate rising cases of attacks and killings.

The president-elect of the group also noted that it was highly provocative that after efforts by the association with the aim of achieving peace, the herdsmen had continued their heinous acts against unsuspecting Tiv farmers which it notes has made the call for self-help inevitable., ThisDay reports.

Read also

Kaduna killings: Senator Uba Sani donates N3m worth relief materials to victims

Benue attacks: Group declares war, gives herdsmen 48-hour ultimatum to relocate
Benue group declares war on herdsmen
Source: UGC

Hembaor speaking in Makurdi, the state capital expressed deep regret over the attack in Kwande local government area that left 10 people murdered by the herdsmen as well as the assault on a monarch's family.

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read the best news on Nigeria’s #1 news

Legit.ng previously reported that gunmen in the early hours of Thursday, March 5, attacked Mbanyiar community in Guma local government area of Benue state and allegedly molested the wife and two female in-laws of the acting district head.

The monarch whose name is withheld explained that gunmen numbering about 11 were armed with sophisticated weapons when they besieged his house at about 2 am. The district ruler speaking to journalists in Makurdi said the attackers were suspected to be herders, but that he was able to escape from them.

In a related development, Governor Samuel Ortom of Benue state again raised an alarm over the mass influx of armed herdsmen into the state. The governor who has repeatedly complained about the presence of the herdsmen in the state said Benue was under siege.

Read also

Panic in Benue as unknown gunmen abduct Catholic priest

He raised the issue again when leaders of Civil Society Organizations visited him in his office in Makurdi on Monday, March 2. Governor Ortom said the troops and security personnel deployed to the state were doing their best but were overstretched and needed to be fortified in the face of the new challenge.

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) - Legit.ng. We have upgraded to serve you better

Victims of Herdsmen killing buried in Benue State | Legit TV

Source: Legit.ng

Online view pixel