- Borno state governor has applauded the Nigerian military after engaging in a gun battle with Boko Haram insurgents
- Babagana Zulum said he was impressed that a combined team of soldiers were able to neutralize insurgents and take the war to them
- Boko Haram insurgents had attacked Damboa local government area in Borno state and left at least six people dead in a gun battle
Babagana Zulum, the Borno state governor, on Thursday, March 5, hailed the ground and air components of the Nigerian military for a decisive blow against Boko Haram insurgents after the terrorists attacked Damboa town in the state.
The governor in a statement said that he was impressed that a combined team of soldiers fighting on the ground and air with the complementary efforts of the civilian JTF and vigilantes were able to neutralize scores of insurgents while stopping them from gaining grounds.
He went on to note that the gallant troops took the war to the insurgents after the terrorists had fled.
He said: “I find it compelling to salute our gallant soldiers of the Nigerian Army and Air Force, under operation Lafiya Dole for a decisive blow against Boko Haram insurgents on Wednesday morning in Damboa town.
Soldiers of the army fought from the ground, the Air force quickly deployed fighter jets while volunteers in the Civilian JTF and Vigilantes complimented them. At the first stage, destroyed 13 fighting vehicles after killing scores of insurgents, who drove on them.
What I find even more impressive, was that after the insurgents retreated due to defeat, the military did not stay back, they remobilized and took the war to the fleeing insurgents and in the process, killed more insurgents and destroyed six more fighting vehicles, bringing to 19, the number of vehicles destroyed.
The insurgents were deprived of and we know what one vehicle used for fighting means to the Boko Haram, talk more of 19. I salute our ground and air forces. I salute our volunteers who supported the military. I salute two volunteers, one each of the Civilian JTF and Vigilantes who paid the supreme price in trying to defend Borno and Nigeria."
Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that the gun battle between troops of the Nigerian Army and Boko Haram insurgents who attacked a military base in the Damboa local government of Borno state led to the death of at least six persons.
The insurgents stormed the area around 5:30 am of Wednesday, March 4. Soldiers who resisted the terrorists were said to be from the Nigerian Army's 25 task force brigade stationed in Damboa.
Speaking on the incident, an eyewitness who is a resident of the area, said: “They came in plenty of Hilux trucks. We saw about 20 before we started running towards the bush. They came in two batches. One came in through the north Sambisa and the other from Alagaruno.”
In a related development, the Borno state governor revealed a traumatic experience he had during his visit to camps of Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) in the state. Zulum said he resisted shedding tears while watching displaced persons queuing for distribution of relief materials.
He stated this during the distribution of food and non-food items to 19,000 displaced households on Tuesday, March 3, at Gajiram, headquarters of Nganzai local government areas of the state.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng upgrades to serve you better
Buhari inducts combat helicopters to fight insurgency, says he won’t fail Nigerians | Legit TV