Insurgency: 6 feared dead after Boko Haram attack on military base in Borno

Insurgency: 6 feared dead after Boko Haram attack on military base in Borno

- At least six persons have been reported dead in a gun battle between Boko Haram insurgents who attacked Damboa local government area in Borno state and troops

- The insurgents were said to have been resisted and eventually overpowered by soldiers who were supported by the Nigerian Air Force

- The terrorists were said to have attacked the area in the early hours of Wednesday, March 4

The gun battle between troops of the Nigerian Army and Boko Haram insurgents who attacked a military base in the Damboa local government of Borno state has led to the death of at least six persons.

According to Daily Trust, the insurgents stormed the area around 5:30 am of Wednesday, March 4.

Soldiers who resisted the terrorists were said to be from the Nigerian Army's 25 task force brigade stationed in Damboa.

Speaking on the incident, an eyewitness who is a resident of the area, said: “They came in plenty of Hilux trucks. We saw about 20 before we started running towards the bush. They came in two batches. One came in through the north Sambisa and the other from Alagaruno.”

BREAKING: Two Chadian terrorists surrender to Nigerian troops

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read the best news on Nigeria’s #1 news

A soldier from the battalion, however, said the terrorists have been outnumbered with the assistance of the Nigerian Air Force.

“So now we have air support, and we are pushing the enemies out of the place and securing the area,” he said.

In February 2020, a roadside bomb hit a bus on the road from Maiduguri to Damboa killing two people on the spot. There were, however, 12 survivours among whom six children.

Ahmadu Jaha, the lawmaker representing Damboa/Gwoza/Chibok in the House of Representatives recently threatened to resign over the constant attacks of his constituents.

The frustrated lawmaker insisted that the current security chiefs must be sacked.

Nigerian military authorities say the terrorists are frustrated with bombardments in their enclave, thereby targeting soft volatile communities.

Boko Haram: NAF's fighter jets kill scores of terrorists at Sambisa forest

Critics, however, say the military's super camp strategy might have exposed the communities to danger.

The super camp strategy was initiated following the loss of several soldiers during attacks by Boko Haram and ISWAP.

Recall that two Chadian terrorists fighting for the Boko Haram, Abu Abor (61) and Abubakar Hassan (51) recently surrendered to Nigerian troops in Gamboru Ngala local government area of Borno state.

The two suspects confessed that they were in the Abubakar Shekau’s faction and had to escape following artillery bombardments by Nigerian troops.

Last week, Nigerian troops captured 23 Boko Haram/ISWAP terrorists and killed 3 of the insurgents in a firefight.

The gallant troops also recovered several AK 47 rifles and ammunition while a total of 143 captives made up of elderly men, women and children were rescued.

Meanwhile, the Nigerian Senate is seeking the re-establishment of a military base at the Sambisa forest borders as part of its suggestions to end insurgency in the northeast.

Boko Haram: Nigerian Military has made enormous gains - Experts

The Senate's resolution was unanimously adopted following the debate on Boko Haram's recent attack on Garkida a town in Adamawa state.

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng upgrades to serve you better

Buhari inducts combat helicopters to fight insurgency, says he won’t fail Nigerians | Legit TV

Source: Legit.ng

Mailfire view pixel