Have you heard of the Art of War quotes? The concept of war is not a foreign idea, history documents some of the greatest war leaders and strategists of all time. One such leader is Sun Tzu. He explains the most popular Sun Tzu quotes.
Art of war quotes reminds us of the bravery that soldiers needed to have to conquer their enemies. In most cases, these sayings were used as an encouragement to those going to the war-front. Others are used to remind us about the fight that was. Sun Tzu was one of the greatest leaders with perfect mastery of war. Through his book, The Art of War, he still inspires generations long after his exit.
The Art of War quotes
The man behind some of the greatest quotes about war still lives in the hearts and minds of many people today. By reading books and going through quotes of some of his famous sayings, we get a feel of who he really was. You can see key strategies that, when applied to military, business, politics, and even sports and management environments can help you emerge victoriously. Consider the following Sun Tzu Art of War quotes to get the feel.
- In the midst of chaos, there is also opportunity.
This will encourage you to go looking for opportunities, even in the most chaotic situations. It is possible to thrive in the midst of messes if you look out for the right chances to exploit for good.
- Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.
The greatest battle happens in mind. Unless you conquer your fears and mental shortcomings, going to a physical war does not help. There is a high likelihood that a lot of things will hold you back.
- There is no instance of a nation benefiting from prolonged warfare.
Nations should prioritize peace. There is only so much that war can achieve, but peace brings prosperity.
- Engage people with what they expect; it is what they are able to discern and confirms their projections. It settles them into predictable patterns of response, occupying their minds while you wait for the extraordinary moment — that which they cannot anticipate.
Winning is about strategy. Start by what is familiar before moving into the unfamiliar. The secret to success lies in the surprise.
- Treat your men as you would your own beloved sons. And they will follow you into the deepest valley.
Building loyalty comes by treating everyone around you equally, even when they are not related to you. Doing this will make them stick to you.
- Be extremely subtle even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious even to the point of soundlessness. Thereby you can be the director of the opponent’s fate.
To conquer an opponent, one needs to be as mysterious as possible. Let the enemy not know when you are going to strike.
- So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.
Always find your enemy's weakness first if you want to win.
- Move swift as the Wind and closely-formed as the Wood. Attack like the Fire and be still as the Mountain.
When striking for a deal, be fast and steady. After your conquest, remain steadfast and unmoved. This will guarantee your success.
- It is easy to love your friend, but sometimes the hardest lesson to learn is to love your enemy.
The biggest lesson and win is when you overcome your hardest fate, which is to embrace your enemy when that is the last thing you want to do.
- There are roads which must not be followed, armies which must not be attacked, towns which must not be besieged, positions which must not be contested, commands of the sovereign which must not be obeyed.
Anyone that becomes successful knows how far they can go when it comes to certain territories. Not everything is to be conquered or feared. Learning the difference is where true success lies.
Famous war quote
You may also want to note the following quotes on war that make Sun Tzu an unforgettable master of war. They include:
- Thus the expert in battle moves the enemy and is not moved by him.
The secret to winning any battle is getting ahead of the enemy.
- When you surround an army, leave an outlet free. Do not press a desperate foe too hard.
Always have an exit strategy in mind. A desperate enemy can go to any lengths to destroy you since they have nothing to lose.
- The art of war is of vital importance to the State. It is a matter of life and death, a road either to safety or to ruin. Hence it is a subject of inquiry which can on no account be neglected.
Everyone needs to learn how to fight battles that concern them. Ignoring these issues is not an option.
- Rewards for good service should not be deferred a single day.
Enjoy the victory and success when they happen.
- Anger may in time change to gladness; vexation may be succeeded by content. But a kingdom that has once been destroyed can never come again into being; nor can the dead ever be brought back to life.
Be careful about the repercussions of war; they are often irreversible.
- Do not repeat the tactics which have gained you one victory, but let your methods be regulated by the infinite variety of circumstances.
Re-using the same methods will put you at risk. Be creative if you want to win.
- Begin by seizing something which your opponent holds dear; then he will be amenable to your will.
To fight an opponent, find something they adore and use it as leverage.
- Move not unless you see an advantage; use not your troops unless there is something to be gained; fight not unless the position is critical.
Only react to a situation if it is absolutely necessary.
- The wise warrior avoids the battle.
If the issue can be sorted without going to war, then that should be the path to seek.
- Bravery without forethought, causes a man to fight blindly and desperately like a mad bull. Such an opponent, must not be encountered with brute force, but may be lured into an ambush and slain.
Nigerians back US, UK over ban on election riggers, say it should be extended to their family members
Have a plan before you forge forward to fight. Lack of planning causes one to die at the battle field.
- Ponder and deliberate before you make a move.
Never act without thought.
- If soldiers are punished before they have grown attached to you, they will not prove submissive; and, unless submissive, then will be practically useless. If, when the soldiers have become attached to you, punishments are not enforced, they will still be unless.
Gain loyalty before punishment, but do not ignore the essence of punishment when dealing with soldiers.
- If he sends reinforcements everywhere, he will everywhere be weak.
Watch out for panic signs and strike where a lot of reinforcement has been added.
- The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.
If you can conquer your enemy without having to fight, then you will be a true warrior.
- If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.
The secret is to know your enemy as well as you know yourself. You can then capitalize on your strengths and your enemy's weaknesses.
- The whole secret lies in confusing the enemy, so that he cannot fathom our real intent.
When your enemy is confused, they cannot guess what your next move will be.
- Rouse him, and learn the principle of his activity or inactivity. Force him to reveal himself, so as to find out his vulnerable spots.
In everything you do, ensure you discover the enemy's weaknesses and strengths before you strike.
- One may know how to conquer without being able to do it.
Do not be fooled about having knowledge; it is possible not to know how to apply it.
- What the ancients called a clever fighter is one who not only wins, but excels in winning with ease.
Be smart when fighting your enemy.
- All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when we are able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must appear inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near.
Most people who win succeed in deceiving their enemies about their next move.
With the above Art of War quotes, everyone can learn to become successful when dealing with an enemy. It does not matter which battleground you are fighting from; you can emerge victorious if you apply the suggestions appropriately.