Kirk Douglas was a prominent writer, actor, director, producer and philanthropist from the United States of America. The legendary icon is well known for the popular 1960 movie, Spartacus. After appearing in many films, he turned out to be an international celebrity.
In 1946, he made his first debut with Barbara Stanwyck in The Strange Love of Martha Ivers. His acting career has been successful in the film industry over the years. The actor has starred in various movies and participated in the writing of some novels. He renewed his religious and spiritual life after surviving a plane crash.
- Birth name: Issur Danielovitch
- Birthplace: Amsterdam, New York, United States
- Other names: Isador Demsky, Izzy Demsky
- Date of birth: December 9, 1916
- Height: 1.75 m
- Nationality: American
Kirk was born to his mother, Bryna, and his father, Herschel, in Amsterdam. He wrote an autobiography, The Ragman’s Son, highlighting all the problems that his family faced. His father was an alcoholic who physically abused Douglas, his six sisters, and his mother. Kirk's school life became hard since he had to do odd jobs to help his family.
He joined Amsterdam High School, where he managed to earn many honors in acting and graduated in 1934. In 1941, during world war II, Douglas enrolled for training in the United States Navy. Unfortunately, he got injuries that forced him out of the military work. On arrival in New York, he commenced working in commercials, theaters, and radio stations.
What is Kirk Douglas career?
The celebrity has taken part in starring movies and writing of books throughout his career path. This has helped him gain fame throughout the entire world. His fans enjoy watching movies that the celebrity has featured in.
Kirk Douglas movies
Here is a list of several movies the celebrity has featured in:
- Empire State Building Murders as Jim Kovalski in 2008
- Illusion as Donald Baines in 2004
- It Runs in the Family as Mitchell Gromberg in 2003
- Touched by an Angel as Ross Burger in 2000
- Bar Mitzvah as Ross Burger in 2000
- Diamonds as Harry Agensky in 1999
- The Simpsons as Chester J. Lampwick in 1996
- The Day the Violence Died as Chester J. Lampwick in 1996
- The Garden of Allah as The Devil in 1995
- Take Me Home Again as Ed Reece in 1994
- Greedy as Uncle Joe in 1994
- The Secret as Grandpa Mike Dunmore in 1992
- Tales from the Crypt as General Kalthrob in 1991
- Yellow as General Kalthrob in 1991
- Welcome to Veraz as Quentin in 1991
- Oscar as Eduardo Provolone in 1991
- Inherit the Wind as Matthew Harrison Brady in 1987
- Queenie as David Konig in 1987
- Tough Guys as Archie Long in 1986
- Amos as Amos Lasher in 1985
- Draw! as Harry H. Holland aka Handsome Harry Holland in 1984
- Eddie Macon's Run as Carl 'Buster' Marzack in 1983
- Remembrance of Love as Joe Rabin in 1982
- The Man from Snowy River as Harrison / Spur in 1982
- The Final Countdown as Capt. Matthew Yelland in 1980
- Saturn 3 as Adam in 1980
- Home Movies as Dr. Tuttle 'The Maestro' in 1979
- The Villain as Cactus Jack in 1979
- The Fury as Peter in 1978
- The Chosen as Robert Caine in 1977
- Arthur Hailey's the Moneychangers as Alex Vandervoort in 1976
- Victory at Entebbe as Hershel Vilnofsky in 1976
- Once Is Not Enough as Mike Wayne in 1975
- Posse as Howard Nightingale in 1975
- 4Mousey as George Anderson in 1974
- Scalawag as Peg in 1973
- The Lucy Show as Kirk Douglas in 1966
- Spartacus as Spartacus in 1960
Outlined below are some of the published novels and memoirs that the celebrity wrote:
- The Ragman's Son-1988
- Dance with the Devil-1990
- The Gift-1992
- Last Tango in Brooklyn-1994
- The Broken Mirror-1997
- I Am Spartacus! Making a Film, Breaking the Blacklist-2012
- Life Could Be Verse: Reflections on Love, Loss, and What Really Matters-2014
The Hollywood legend was awarded several times for his achievements in the film industry for being the best actor. Here is a list of some of Kirk's awards:
- Bad & the Beautiful nominated for Best Actor in 1952.
- Champion nominated for Best Actor in 1949.
- Lust for Life nominated for Best Actor in 1956.
- He received a Honorary Award for 50 years as a creative and moral force in the motion picture community in 1996.
- His character Amos was nominated for Best Actor in a Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for TV in 1986.
- Cecil B. DeMille Award for Lifetime Achievement in 1968.
- Lust for Life won for Best Actor-Drama in 1957.
- Detective Story nominated for Best Actor-Drama in 1952.
- Lust for Life won for Best Actor in 1956.
- Detective Story nominated for Best Actor in 1951.
Who is Kirk Douglas wife?
The celebrity met Diana Love Dill, his first wife in 1940s. She was a model and an actress for six decades in New York. After eight years of marriage, the couple separated but promised to remain close to their children. Both appeared in It Runs in the Family film.
The actor married Anne Buydens, after divorcing with Diana. They had been together with Anne for decades since 1954. The couple’s dedication to their philanthropic work and family was unlimited. Anne always supported Douglas throughout his life. She is 100 years old as of 2020.
Kirk Douglas children
The famous actor was fortunate to have four sons from both wives. Diana gave birth to Michael Douglas, 75 years old, and Joel Douglas, 71 years. Anne’s sons are Peter, 64 years and Eric, who died in 2004 at 46 years. Douglas' professional career has influenced his sons. They are still following their father's career path in the film and entertainment industry.
Kirk Douglas death
On February 5, 2020, the celebrity passed away at his home, Beverly Hills, California in the presence of his family. At the time of his demise, Kirk Douglas age was 103 years. He was peacefully laid to rest in Westwood Memorial Park in California.
Kirk Douglas will
After the Hollywood, legendary icon was laid to rest, his will revealed the most critical things that none of his family knew. The actor’s fortune which is more than $50 million is to be entirely distributed to the Douglas Foundation as proof of his kindness. Furthermore, his son Michael who is worth 300 million dollars, should not benefit from Kirk's inheritance as per the will.
Kirk Douglas charity
In 1964, the famous movie star launched a Douglas Foundation together with his wife, Anne. Their charity work made them come into the limelight. Anne also founded Research for Women’s Cancers in Los Angeles after she won the battle against breast cancer.
Legatees under the celebrity’s foundation are students at St. Lawrence University, Culver City’s Kirk Douglas Theatre, Westwood’s Sinai Temple, and The Los Angeles Children’s Hospital. His charity work is still active even after his demise.
Kirk Douglas latest news
The star who came from an impoverished childhood and rose to stardom in Hollywood received standing applause at the Golden Globes after turning 101 years. The world celebrates him for his successful life.
Kirk Douglas net worth
The celebrity’s net worth was estimated to be about $60 million at the time of his demise. He had earned all this massive wealth from his acting career.
Kirk Douglas is to be celebrated for his charitable work in the society. He has earned great success in the film and entertainment industry. The life of such a hero is worth emulating by the entire world. Most upcoming actors look up to this legend.