- The Chinese government in its daily official newsletter discloses that no Nigerian has been infected with the coronavirus disease
- Chinese officials say 29 foreigners have been infected with the disease out of which 18 have been cured
- The government reveals that two foreigners have died from the virus while nine are still under quarantine and treatment
Chinese officials have disclosed that no Nigerian resident in China has contracted the coronavirus disease also known as the Covid-19.
Premium Times reports that the disclosure was made on Thursday, February 20, by the Chinese government in its daily official newsletter on the status of the disease.
The Chinese government stated that 29 foreigners have been infected with the disease out of which 18 have been cured. It said no Nigerian was among the infected foreigners.
The government further disclosed that two foreigners dead and nine are still under quarantine and treatment.
Meanwhile, following the outbreak of coronavirus in China, the federal government has given the assurance that if and when the need arises, Nigerians especially those located in Wuhan would be evacuated.
This was disclosed by Nigeria's minister of state for health, Dr Olorunibe Mamora, on Monday, February 17, in Abuja, during a press briefing. Mamora went to note that the health of Nigerian nationals in China is being monitored through the Ambassador in China.
According to the minister of state for health, the urgency of the current situation regarding coronavirus has been greatly emphasized. Mamora added that after the meeting ministers held in Mali, they agreed to strengthen coordination, communication, and collaboration in preparedness for the epidemic.
In another news, the World Health Organisation (WHO), has disclosed that the death toll from coronavirus has risen beyond 2,000 currently. CNN reports that only six cases of the actual number were recorded outside China's mainland.
The international media also revealed that so far, the virus has infected not less than 75,000 persons.
Meanwhile, two cases of coronavirus have been confirmed in Iran by the Iranian authorities on Wednesday, February 19.
According to the report, this is the first two cases reported in the Islamic country. In a report by Isna news agency, there is no certain number of any other suspected cases and if the reported victims were quarantined.
As at the time of filing this report, details of the victims' nationality or the state of their health was not revealed Kiyanoush Jahanpour, an official at Iran’s health ministry said the two cases were detected in the central province of Qom.
The online newspaper further disclosed that only a little more than 1,000 infected persons from the overall number reside outside the Asian nation.
to another report, actor Jackie Chan has offered R2 million (N48,768,880.00) reward in exchange for an antidote.
The pressure to get the coronavirus outbreak under control is on as the death toll keeps rising.
Now veteran actor Jackie Chan has climbed on board in an attempt to find a solution, offering a 1 million yuan (N48,768,880.00) reward for the development of an antidote.
Still on health, the Lagos State Government says it has placed the 63 people who had direct contact with index Lassa fever case under surveillance.
The state commissioner for health, Prof Akin Abayomi, made this known while giving an update on the Lassa fever case recorded in the state at a media briefing in Lagos on Wednesday.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) recalls that the state government had early this morning confirmed a case of Lassa fever outbreak in the state.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng: Same great journalism, upgraded for better service!
Coronavirus: NOA DG reveals steps taken to prevent deadly epidemic | Legit TV