Coronavirus: FG assures evacuation of Nigerians from China if the need arises

Coronavirus: FG assures evacuation of Nigerians from China if the need arises

- The Nigerian federal government has said it would not hesitate to evacuate citizens of Nigeria

- The minister of state for health noted that the evacuation would only be if and when the need arises

- The minister added that the health of Nigerians is being monitored

Following the outbreak of coronavirus in China, the federal government has given the assurance that if and when the need arises, Nigerians especially those located in Wuhan would be evacuated.

This was disclosed by Nigeria's minister of state for health, Dr Olorunibe Mamora, on Monday, February 17, in Abuja, during a press briefing. Mamora went to note that the health of Nigerian nationals in China is being monitored through the Ambassador in China.

He said: “We are in touch with our Ambassador in China and the Chinese Ambassador to Nigeria is also in touch with the ministry, and we are getting information on the condition of Nigerians in Wuhan.

Insurgency: Why Borno residents booed Buhari during his visit - Former governor

We are monitoring the health of our citizens, if and when the need arises to evacuate them, we will do so but we don’t want a situation we create panic, this is not time for fear, this is not the time for stigmatization, it is time for science.”

Coronavirus: FG assures evacuation of Nigerians from China if the need arises

The Nigerian federal government assures evacuation of Nigerians from China if the need arises.
Source: UGC

According to the minister of state for health, the urgency of the current situation regarding coronavirus has been greatly emphasized. Mamora added that after the meeting ministers held in Mali, they agreed to strengthen coordination, communication, and collaboration in preparedness for the epidemic.

Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that the Ministry of Health in France on Saturday, February 15, confirmed the death of a Chinese citizen who had been infected with coronavirus.

PAY ATTENTION: Download our mobile app to enjoy the latest news update

The deceased, an 80-year-old man from the Hubei province of China, was said to have arrived in France on Thursday, January 16, from the Asian country. According to the health minister, Agnès Buzyn, he was quarantined in the nation's capital, Paris on Saturday, January 25.

FG to spend N620m to prevent outbreak of coronavirus in Nigeria

In a related development, the Japanese Ministry of Health, Labour, and Welfare confirmed that 99 more people on board the Diamond Princess cruise ship have tested positive for coronavirus. Since the outbreak, this is the largest increase in cases from the ship in a single day.

This is coming after reports that several countries are making plans to emulate the United States and evacuate their citizens as well from the ship.

The ministry on Monday, February 17, also confirmed that seventy out of the ninety-nine cases are asymptomatic and would be moved to medical facilities onshore.

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng: Same great journalism, upgraded for better service!

Coronavirus: No Nigerian has been infected - Chinese Ambassador | Legit TV

Source: Legit Newspaper

Tags:
Mailfire view pixel