Coronavirus: Europe records first death

Coronavirus: Europe records first death

- A Chinese man in France has been reported dead

- The deceased was said to have been infected with coronavirus

- The 80-year-old man's death due to the disease is the first-ever recorded in Europe

The ministry of health in France on Saturday, February 15, confirmed the death of a Chinese citizen who had been infected with coronavirus.

The deceased, an 80-year-old man from the Hubei province of China, was said to have arrived in France on Thursday, January 16, from the Asian country, BBC reports.

According to the health minister, Agnès Buzyn, he was quarantined in the nation's capital, Paris on Saturday, January 25.

Coronavirus: Europe records first death
This is the first recorded casualty of the disease in Europe since it was diagnosed in Wuhan city of China back in 2019.
Source: Facebook

This is the first recorded casualty of the disease in Europe since it was diagnosed in Wuhan city of China back in 2019.

Meanwhile, Legit.ng had reported that the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) and eight states across Nigeria had been listed by the World Health Organisation as states at high risk of a coronavirus outbreak.

Read also

Coronavirus spreads to Africa as Egypt confirms first case of killer disease

The WHO mapped out the states - Lagos, Kano, Cross River, Akwa Ibom, Port Harcourt, Enugu, Delta and Bayelsa - as top priority areas for preparedness against the Novel coronavirus outbreak in Nigeria.

Speaking on the possible outbreak of the disease in Nigeria, the technical officer on health emergency programme for WHO, Dhamari Naidoo, while speaking to journalists at a media training for reporters on coronavirus outbreak said Nigeria was self-assessed as high in a risk assessment by the organisation.

Naidoo said the assessment tilted in the direction probably because of the frequent travels between Nigerians and the Chinese.

She said: "Nigeria was self-assessed as high in a risk assessment by the World Health Organisation, primarily because of the frequent travel between China and Nigeria.”

PAY ATTENTION: Get the Latest Nigerian News Anywhere 24/7. Spend less on the Internet!

Naidoo noting that while the WHO is working on strengthening surveillance at ports of entry by supporting temperature screening, and visual observation, airlines have also been informed about travel forms to enable monitoring of travellers coming in from China.

Read also

Strange disease hits Benue, 15 dead, over 100 infected

She added that the WHO has deployed a surge team comprising of experts from the African region to support the work of the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control and the Federal Ministry of Health.

She said the team will also help in planning and preparing the country against the coronavirus outbreak.

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng: Same great journalism, upgraded for better service!

Coronavirus: No Nigerian has been infected - Chinese Ambassador | Legit TV

Source: Legit.ng

Online view pixel