- Some leaders of Ndigbo on Wednesday, February 12, walked out of the southeast security summit
- The summit was organised by the southeast governors on the spate of insecurity in the country
- President general of Ndigbo and some leaders left the venue of the summit when the event could not start on time
A report by The Nation indicates that a security summit slated to hold between the southeast governors and the Inspector General of Police (IGP), Mohammed Adamu, on Wednesday, February 12, was almost disrupted.
Legit.ng reports that the delay by southeast governors and the IGP to arrive at the venue of the security summit nearly marred the event.
The event which was slated for 9 am was attended by the leadership of Ohanaeze Ndigbo, traditional rulers from the five states of the zone, religious leaders, captains of industry and other stakeholders from the zone.
They had all arrived on time with the venue, Base 2 event centre filled to capacity and the police band was on hand entertaining.
But as at 1 pm, the governors were nowhere to be seen as the VIPs patiently waited.
At this stage, most of the dignitaries ran out of patience and the Anglican Archbishop of Enugu, Emmanuel Chukwuma announced to the audience: “We are not here for music entertainment but for security issues. We have been here for hours waiting for these people and they are no where to be seen. This is how they toy with issues concerning Ndigbo. Why should they keep us waiting."
The report said that as if that was the whistle the VIPs were waiting for, the president-general of Ohanaeze Ndigbo, Nnia Nwodo, stood up and left the venue and was followed by many of the traditional rulers.
Despite the pleading of the chairman of the Enugu state traditional rulers council, Igwe Lawrence Agubuzu, the VIPS ignored him and left.
The governors and the IGP arrived about an hour later.
It was, however, noted that just as the IG was giving his address, Nnia Nwodo reappeared. And the IGP paused and acknowledged his arrival and thanked him for returning.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that the apex Igbo socio-cultural organisation, Ohaneze Ndigbo, declared that it would no longer watch while Ndigbos in the country are being killed.
The organisation made the declaration after holding a meeting where it reviewed the security situation in the country.
The group said it was determined to ensure that every human within Igbo land is defended and protected.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) - Legit.ng We have upgraded to serve you better.
Operation Amotekun: Should it be replicated in other regions? Nigerians react | - on Legit TV