- A general court-martial at the army headquarters in Abuja finds three officers of the Nigerian army guilty of manslaughter
- The officers found guilty by the court-martial include Major Akeem Oseni, Major Ogbemudia Osawe, and Second lieutenant Nuhu Dogary
- They convicted officers were found guilty of torturing Collins Benjamin, a lance corporal, to death in a case that spanned three year
Three officers of the Nigerian army were on Friday, February 7, sentenced to ten years jail term for manslaughter by a general court-martial at the army headquarters in Abuja.
The officers sentenced by the court-martial include Major Akeem Oseni, Major Ogbemudia Osawe, and Second lieutenant Nuhu Dogary, Premium Times reports.
The convicted officers were found guilty of torturing Collins Benjamin, a lance corporal, to death in a case that spanned three years.
Another officer, named Amosu, a captain, was, however, acquitted.
In another report, amid calls for the removal of the service chiefs by prominent Nigerians over the level of insecurity in Nigeria, the Theatre Commander, Operation Lafiya Dole (OPLD), Olusegun Adeniyi, has said that the Boko Haram insurgents would never get hold of any part of Nigeria again.
Legit.ng reports that Adeniyi, a major general, stated this while reviewing the progress of the ongoing counter-insurgency operation of the Nigerian Armed Forces in the northeast on Friday, February 7, in Maiduguri, the capital of Borno.
He said the military had succeeded in reducing the sect from the terrorist army a used to be, to mere criminals because of the defeat they suffered since 2015.
He noted that Boko Haram had in 2013 transmuted from a terrorist group to a terrorist army sustaining intense attacks on towns, villages, communities, markets and military bases.
Adeniyi maintained that the insurgents had been defeated since 2017 and would remain so, adding that the current pockets of resurgent of the terrorist had an international dimension.
Meanwhile, a former chairman of the Federal Character Commission, Ari Gwaska, has condemned the call for the sack of Nigeria's service chief over growing insecurity in various regions of the country especially the north.
Speaking after an all-inclusive stakeholders meeting on the state of security in the country, Gwaska who is the national chairman of the Pro-Nigeria Elders Council (PRONECO) said he believes President Muhammadu Buhari is following United States of America's (USA) lead on tenure elongation of the service chiefs to defeat terrorism.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) - Legit.ng. We have upgraded to serve you better.
Air Force Personnel rewarded for returning lost N14.9million | Legit TV