Boko Haram: American government announces fresh $40 million aid to Nigeria

Boko Haram: American government announces fresh $40 million aid to Nigeria

- The government of the US has granted fresh assistance to Nigeria

- Mike Pompeo, the Secretary of State, made this known on Tuesday, February 4

- Pompeo said the two-day meeting also featured discussions on security cooperation

A report by Premium Times indicates that the United States has announced an additional $40 million (N14 billion) aid to Nigeria to address the humanitarian crisis arising from decades of the Boko Haram insurgency.

Legit.ng gathered that the Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo, who made the announcement in Washington DC on Tuesday, February 4, said this was in addition to nearly 350 million dollars (N122.5 billion) in the assistance provided by the U.S. last year.

Pompeo spoke during a joint media briefing with the minister of foreign affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama, after the US - Nigeria Binational Commission (BNC) meeting hosted by the Department of State.

He said: “The foreign minister (Onyeama) and I also discussed today the massive humanitarian crisis that the conflict with Boko Haram and ISIS-West Africa and other religious and ethnic violence.

Coronavirus: Buhari sends critical message to Chinese govt

“We know that these issues are hard. We know that they’re complicated. But, I strongly encourage the Nigerian government to do more to protect its civilians, including religious communities and the humanitarian organisations seeking to assist them.

Boko Haram: American government announces fresh $40 million aid to Nigeria

US Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo
Source: UGC

The BNC is a platform for the Nigerian and U.S. governments to expand cooperation and advance shared goals in the areas of trade and investment, development, good governance, and security.

Pompeo said the two-day meeting also featured discussions on security cooperation between both countries, especially Nigeria’s “recent purchase’’ of 12 U.S.-made A-29 fighter planes worth $500 million.

The sale of the aircraft, according to him, is in support of President Muhammadu Buhari’s vision of building “a security force with the best training and modern weaponry.”

On his part, Onyeama described the security challenges facing the country as an existential threat but was quick to note that they were being addressed with respect for human rights.

Why travel ban was placed on Nigeria - US

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read the best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that the presidency revealed how Abacha's loot would be spent.

NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng Same great journalism, upgraded for better service!

How Nigerians should fight corruption - civil society group | - on Legit TV

Source: Legit

Online view pixel